1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Reno Street Vibrations

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

....and, yes, they do vibrate!

Other than SK, who wants to be there? Not that SK shouldn't chime in. And when/where (VC is cool with me!)? 19-23 September.

I say we have a cold something together. Unless it is already cold, then coffee rules. Thoughts? But, dang it, I don't think HOT01 will make it for this one.......unless she is more whacked than even she can even imagine (though them future authors of great books have been known to surprise, they also have to earn gas money)
    :cheers:

Rocky - AKA -the Red Rider - after all, she is a red Road King.
  2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Oh man! I was thinking, hmm, I'd really like to go to that. How much vacation do I have left? 1 week until next July. Not enough to get back home it I go out there. Hmmm. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Have a great time!
  3. Red Rider

Weather update -

From the NWS, for the Reno-Carson region:

AN UNSEASONABLY COLD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO THE REGION WEDNESDAY AND REMAIN OVER THE AREA THROUGH THIS WEEKEND. WINDS WILL BEGIN TO PICK UP LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE TO INCREASE ON WEDNESDAY WHEN GUSTS COULD REACH AS HIGH AS 50 MPH IN THE MORE WIND PRONE AREAS. BEHIND THE FRONT...TEMPERATURES WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY COLDER WITH SNOW LEVELS DROPPING TO AROUND 7000 FEET. THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SIERRA COULD SEE A FEW INCHES OF SNOW AS SHOWERS MOVE SOUTH ACROSS THE AREA WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY.

So highs will be in the 60's and 50's (compared to 83 today). Won't stop me -I live east of the Sierra's - but should make this year's shindig right dreary.:(

Anyone coming over the Sierra's needs to be mindful of the snow. Snow and bikes is bad enough, but snow/bikes/twisty downhills and psycho cagers is too much for me.
  4. fxrsrules

fxrsrules New Member

I was thinking of coming up for the day with the bros but now I'm havin second thoughts. Thanks for the warning.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

A couple of years ago we went to Street Vibs and on Sunday morning when we went to leave the temp. was down in the low 20's. I was riding my Springer and glad I kept the windshield on. I was so dang cold that I thought that I would never make it to the Black Bear Dinner in Susanville. All, I could think about was wrapping my hands around a hot cup of coffee

Plus about 4-5 years ago on the way home we were riding through snow and had to spend the night in a motel in Bend Oregon.

I would not bother me one bit if they moved the date up a bit more into Summer!
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

It's been really cold here too. :mad:

Have fun!
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

y'all, i think that is called global warming!!:rolleyes:
  8. Red Rider

The stars a lining up for a bust...high winds now and rain coming. And to top it off: I was edging the lawn this morning in preps for a ride out this afternoon to Reno for the kickoff and the dark clouds came in. So I took off my sunglasses and hurried to finish and WHACK - a small rock caught me smack-dab in my right eye. :banghead: Must have layed a good scrath on it, as I can't see any damage to it (using my left), but I can't keep it open from the pain. Sheesh. Hope its better by morning, expect it will be.

Snow level down to 6500ft - next weekend predicted to be in mid-80's. Oh, well. And yeah, a week earlier would be better - I was at the one, FLHTbiker, that ya wrote about. Sure made Virginia City a lot tamer that year - dang near a ghost town.
  9. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

got snow here today..didn't stick though....hope you guys get some warm weather...me? got work to do..no fun for a while.
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sleepy.....where is "here"?? must be up a mountian some place!! brrrrrrr!
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I think he is close to the Tundra and North Pole. I know he can get a real winter and a lot of snow that's why they do a lot of outdoor Ice Hockey in the winter months. :cool:
  12. SK

SK New Member

I'll be in Virginia City tomorrow afternoon Red Rider. I'm in Sacramento now. Most likely blast up 80 to Reno rather than the long way up US50 over Mormon-Immigrant Trail to 88 and Markleeville for lunch..then north in the Carson City to VC. Staying at the Sugarloaf Motel (baby or sky blue motel..you pick) on the right up C St (main drag).

Going into Reno on Friday for a bit, then spend all day Saturday in VC. Have decided to stay over Sunday night and leave Monday.

I've been through some cold up here in the past. This'll be my 8th straight year in VC, with 3 prior to that in Reno before the big price increases. Ten years ago Marc (FLHTBiker) met me at the Comstock Hotel in Reno. Wed and Thur at $35, and Fri and Sat at $55. The next year they wanted $125 a night..3 night minimum. I moved to a different location two more times (they tore down the ole hotel on the southside of the Truckee River with little balconies overlooking the river and the main section of Virginia St). Any way..shifted to VC and never looked back.

Snow can't be any worse than what I've seen in Colorado a few Junes. Rode through 6" of fresh snow in Cripple Creek..riding in the trenches from the tires of the cage in front of me. Rode over Independence Pass (12,095') in a white-out. Fun stuff. :eek:
  13. Red Rider

At least today and tomorrow's forecasts have been upgraded to a bit warmer (mid-70s) and the rain chance way down. Snow has already hit the mountains south of Tahoe pretty good, so good call on just taking I80, SK. Looks like this wierd front has gone through faster than expected, but is setting down over SoCal and is s'posed to be back up on Saturday. We'll see, but I'm guessing Sat will be warmer than the 57 they predict today.

My eye ;) is doing better, so as soon as I get the kids off to school I'm off to Reno/VC. :rocket_bike: