1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Replacing cv carb fuel inlet

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by scottf, Mar 30, 2009.

1. scottf

scottf New Member

I think I've finally found the culprit for my cv carb seeping fuel around the plastic fuel inlet on my cv carb. I"m pretty sure the fuel inlet is cracked allowing the fuel to seep out. Does anyone know of an easy way to replace this plastic, ( why do they use plastic anyway), fuel line connector on the carb? I have a brass replacement already on hand.
    Thanx
    Scott F,
    Osan, Korea
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

No problem - Break off the plastic and you will find a brass tube inserted into the carb body - use a flat bottomed tap and go about a i/2 in into that - then screw in a 1/4 stud about two inches long -place a piece of tubing over this stud and put a washer on top then add a nut and tighten it down - the brass tube will pop out.
    When you go to put in the new elbow - heat the carb body around the hole and tap the new elbow in before it cools off - make sure you note the location of the inlet tube before you take the old one out. I used a felt tip marker. Seat the new elbow on the shoulder and you should wind up with a leak proof connection. The new brass elbow will also allow more fuel to the bowl as it doesn't have a restriction in it like the stock one does.
    If you you run into a problem PM me and I will help out.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

sarge7. If you put the elbow in the freezer for a while before you heat the carb body, it would help it go in to the heated carb body. Yes??
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yes........
  5. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Thats so true - forgot to add that in - and I did mine the hard way - without coolin it first. Lucky I didn't break something. Still have to fine tune the beast but the darned weather isn't helping. Thinking about a set of pontoons as a addon.:roflmao:
  6. scottf

scottf New Member

I was going to do the freezer thing with the new inlet, but didn't think about heating the carb body.
    Thnx all,
    Scott, Osan Korea