1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Reserve Tank

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by SteveRace, Apr 3, 2010.

1. SteveRace

SteveRace New Member

Ok, to start, I screwed up, and reset my trip odometer between fuel fill up. And the fuel gage doesnt read right after about a half tank. On my way home from work yesterday, the bike started to spudder abit, then ran fine for about 3/4 mile, then it died. I pulled over, and looked in the gas tank, and it looked like there was just a bit of gas left at the very bottom. The bike started back up, I rode another block to a gas station ( got lucky ), and put 4.92 gal in (5 gal cap tank ). So my question is, why not a reserve tank on fuel injected bike?
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

You were lucky, there should be a low fuel light that comes on.
    I once just made it to a gas station on an 06 Ultra I had and put in 5.2 gal. :rolleyes:
  3. SteveRace

SteveRace New Member

Your right, there is a low fuel light in the gage. But hard to see in the day light. Would be nice if it the light was on the indicator strip, where the turn signal lights are. I guess I learned not to play with the trip odometer, unless I'm fueling up.
  4. FLHTbiker

That is something I always do is when fueling up I do reset the trip meter and pretty much know how far I can go on a tank. I use the fuel gauge as that a gauge and they are simply not all that accurate on any Harley I have ever owned.
    Everytime I fill up I always look at the miles I rode on that tank and how many gal. I put in and then I pretty much estimate how many miles when riding before the next gas stop. My Springer fuel gauge is really bad, first 90 miles and the gauge is almost bottomed out, I don't even use it.
    My 09 Ultra with the 6 gal tank does help as I'm usually ready for a butt break before it needs gas.
  5. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I always use the trip counter, I load up every 100 miles, prob can go alot farther, but I like to keep the trash floating:roflmao: If I was to accedently, reset it, a quick stop and look see, prob guess about 50 miles and just gas up, only had to flip to reserve once, the other time I just ran out and a bud pulled his line open and thanks to all the trash throwin cage rollers a plastic bottle was near:roflmao:luckly no piss in it!:roflmao:
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

isnt there a setting for miles left before walking?????? i think the 08's have it......
  7. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I could see my light on my bike, and when the light comes on, the oddometer tells me how many miles I have till I run out.
    I've ran it down to within 5 miles before too.

What happened was somebody daydreamin ?........................
  8. FLHTbiker

Yep, its got it but yea know they all seem to be different for bikes getting the same mileage.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

steve don't know why HD did'nt put reserve on EFI bikes , I do like the other's But my eglide has the fule light , in front of me & not down on the tank , so i can see it , just yesterday , like you I got lucky & the gas station was right there put in 5.o gal' in a 5 gal tank , had 165 miles on the trip counter
  10. FLHTbiker

Wow Cowboy, your either burning really rich...or you had one heck of a head wind or you could have been exercising your wrist a lot. :D

I get on average 44 MPG with the fuel injection, but then I'm always twisting the throttle a bit more than some.
  11. cardboard

Take the windshield off and put a fairing on....................
  12. FLHTbiker

?????????? :confused:
  13. cardboard

A litte More drag
  14. FLHTbiker

09 Ultra with full fairing gets 44 MPG on average. :)

Attached Files:

15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

LOL she's about due for a tune up & the ole wrist was doing the twist & most all stop & go traffic
  16. FLHTbiker

Yea, I get chewed on quit often by the old lady for leaving her behind to often when taking off from a stop. But what the heck guys gotta have some fun before he dies.
    Left her one time going down the north side of Bear Tooth pass, told her see yea in a while, very windy and great motorcycle road. Got down to Red Lodge down at the bottom and pulled into a gas stop. Town was full of bikes and she rode right past me and then she couldn't find me. I came riding up behind her and she says how did you do that and then called me a few names I won't repeat. :roflmao: She finally got over it.:)
  17. cardboard

Guess I keep forgittin I got a 103, normally always ride 2 people and got stuff in the saddlebags and tourpac.
    And I got a problem with my right wrist.

And if all I have to worry about is fuel milage it takes the fun out.
  18. FLHTbiker

I forgot you have a 103 in your bike and twisting the throttle, your right its all part of the fun.
  19. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i forgot ya had a 103 also!!!!!!!! my little 88 seems to run pretty good with you.......
  20. cardboard

Been trying to not twist the throttle as hard.
    It has plenty of power and has broke in since I built it a year ago.

I keep seeing too many Police everwhere I go.

And Cities have deep pockets, they can just spend, spend, spend, and want to catch people speeding and give less cushin on how much over they are allowing.

Wished I could spend like that and have somebody to figure out how to pay for it.