1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Residual Oil

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dukeofdirt, Mar 26, 2007.

1. dukeofdirt

dukeofdirt New Member

Had a discussion over the weekend about the amount of old or residual oil
    left in the system after an oil change. Is there any consensus on this? There
    has to be some, but is it 6 ounces or 16 ounces or whatever? Thanks for any
    insight y'all might have.
    Ron
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

They are dry sump systems so it shouldn't be more than a couple of oz at the most, excluding if you have an oil cooler.

If you want to be sure you have it all out there is a company that makes an oil change tool Roque Chopper Scavenger looks cool

If you are really concerned about totally changing your oil this is you system.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

in my opinion, there isnt enough left in the system to worry with...under normal cirumstances. now, if your talking a componet failure....different story!!
  4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I can attest to the Rouge Chopper oil Scavenger. I just bought one and I gotta tell ya, theres more dirty oil in there then you think. I just did my spring maintenance over the weekend and used this device. I drained my oil and opened the cam chest to check my tensioner shoes. Had 3-4 ounces of oil drain out of the cam chest when I opened it. Shoes are good for another season. Got 24K on the bike. Thinking of going to gears next year.

Now here's the best and most suprising part. I refilled the oil bag and installed the scavenger unit. Started the motor and pumped 24 ounces of dirty black oil out of the bike before the clean oil started coming out. So basically when you drain your oil you still have 24-32 ounces of dirty left in the motor. This mixes with the new oil.

What's nice about this unit is that it flushes out the entire motor, not just the sump. Had I not opened the cam chest I would have pumped out 28 ounces of dirty oil with the scavenger unit. You can check out their video at rougechoppers.com
  5. stevenh

stevenh New Member

Not sure if it's a softail only situation, but, I never was able to put more than 3 quarts back in after a oil and filter change. It's supposed to hold 3 1/2 qts. I lean it to the right for a couple minutes to try to get as much oil as possible to drain.
    My girlfriends' lowrider holds 3qts total and that's what I'm able to put back in.
    I read somewhere else about softails keeping about a half quart in them. Not sure if it's true, but it's been the case on mine since the first oil change. I might be interested in some sort of scavenging device.
  6. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

My softail, Heritage Classic, is the same. Holds 3 1/2 quarts, but only drains 3 quarts. So at a half quart of residual oil, that's at least 16 ounces of dirty oil that mixes with the new oil.
  7. stevenh

stevenh New Member

I wonder if it has to do with the balancer. It's the only difference I can think of.
  8. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

i like the basic princable to that..i wonder if they make one for my truck??