1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

revtech engine

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gabby, Jan 6, 2006.

1. gabby

gabby New Member

i'm assembling a custom chrome kit bike for a friend who has had the bike for over a year. he's had alot of help from others. there are no papers, instructions, parts missing, so on so on. i have it mechanically together and tried to fire it. problem!!!! the rear cylinder fires occasionally. the bike is simple. no signals,gauges. i've checked wiring,modes and timing. i'm lost. where have the bikes with points gone?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

In the nose cone is an ignition module, it has on the back two magnetic pickups, You can remove the cover, mark the timing and then pull it straight out be careful to not really twist it and pop off one of the magnets, make sure they are both on there, (I have seen one broken off bike wont fire)

Also check the plugs to see if they are getting full spark, you can pull them and rest on the head have friend turn it over and see if it sparks or get a spark testing light to plug into the plug wire.

Check wires running from the nose cone up to the coil, make sure you have them in the right place three posts, on that I think. You can download instructions on the ignition from Crane go to the motorcycle section the motor is of course an EVO. I'm guessing a HI-4 ignition.

Check for good grounds on the battery too.

If it's a big inch 100 then you can wire a relay (Crane sells them but you can get a 4 pole relay from a car store) and wire it to the starter, coil and battery then direct to frame ground) this will let more power get to the coil when starting.