1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Riding days are over for awhile

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Aug 23, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

While on my trip I developed a real bad pain in my left side that went down to my left foot. By the time I got home I could barley move my left toes. Went to the Doc's last week and he gave me some pain pills and some pills to reduce swelling. We'll had an MRI and just got the results back. Ruptured disk, great now gotta wait to see what there going to do. Down on L-5 and pushing into the main nerve. No wonder its been hurting so bad. Told me no work no riding, great. Self Employed so now no income and had to turn down 3 jobs yesterday. Oh well, life goes on. Just hope that surgery is not what they want to do. :banghead:

The trip was still worth it and maybe that slip in the KOA pool did it:gah:
  2. parker

parker New Member

man i hate to hear that that sucks,i know that is some serious pain.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah that sucks,

You going in for surgery?
  4. FLHTbiker

I have to wait until Wednesday to even call the pain clinic at the hospital to see if I can get a shot of Cortisone. My doc went on vacation for two weeks so I have no idea. Once the pain clinic approves getting the Cortisone they say it could take up to six weeks before getting me in. I will be calling the main office if that happens, been to long now and the pain is even worse now.
    One thing while riding those long miles I could get half way comfortable on the bike and with doubling up the Ibuprofen I bought it would knock it down for a while.
    We were going to be another week on the trip going down to New Mexico and over to my Friends Vern's home in Arizona but I decided to cut it shorter to get back because of it. :rant::cussing:
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

hate to hear that. Get a second opinion before you go the surgury route. Watch some of those pain killers ,they can be rough on the liver.
  6. hotroadking

Well you got to take care of the health.

Have you thought about taking on an apprentice
    to do the dirty work, crawl under, into and out
    of the tight spots so you can continue to work
    and build the business, at the same time
    doubling up the amount of homes you could
    see, or, continue to see the ones you have now
    or that come in...
  7. FLHTbiker

I've trained other guys before and the problem with an apprentice you still have to go with em for awhile to teach them what to look for. Proper types of wood boring insects, carpenter ants and termites. What type of dry rot in the wood, is there water in the crawl or roof and where is it coming from. Really scary if you mis diagnose them, can lead to a huge law suit if not done correctly. I've been doing this business for a long time now and its hard to just trust someone else to be sure they see what you want them to see.
    I'm going to call a couple of other inspectors I know to see if they can fill in for me for awhile.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that sucks..........thoughts and prayers to ya bud!!!!! heal quickly!!!!
  9. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

Sorry to hear that, if they want to cut think about second opinions, never knew anyone that had a good surgery experience when it comes to backs.
    Good Luck, hope it works out ok
  10. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Good results are rare. Several friends and family members have been cut for disc repairs. Success stories come from NY Hospital for Special Surgery. My ol can't ride anymore due to L3,L4 and L5 herniated discs and arthritic spurs inching nerves same area. She is putting surgery off until she can't bear it anymore.
    Best wishes FLHT.
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Totally stinks. Sorry to read that. I've had spinal surgery, all in the C vertabrae (titanium upper spine, now), and have traumatic arthritis (helo "hard landing" was the last straw - non-pilots call it a crash) throughout my lumbar region. I frequently get that shooting pain, too, down to my left foot. My wife got me that Teeter thing that you see on TV, and it has helped a great deal. Not a cure, but really helps manage the pain. You may want to ask your doc about it. Good luck.
  12. FLHTbiker

I'll check into that, but first gotta get rid of the extreme pain.:cussing:
  13. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

If you git pain medicine ask for Loritab.

Got a buddy back home that hurt his back, his leg would go numb.
    They operated, and he did his walks. It didn't help
    He went back to the doctor and got Loritab for the pain,
    When you git better , you got to go on walks everyday man.
    Take it easy on the walks.

Hate to hear yer not tough anymore.

Pain Sucks oh.:cussing:
  14. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Loritab is good for pain. So is Percocet & oxycontin (sp?). I took them all for a while when I broke my back in 2001 and then my doctor put me on METHADONE for about 5 years. They wouldn't operate because my bones were really thin. Man, I was so sorry to hear that about you. If you take pain killers take a lot of fluids with them - they tend to dehydrate you. I ended up back in the hospital for a weekend I was so dried up and they had to juice me up with bags & bags of saline solution.
  15. cardboard

Go to a swimmin Pool and exercise and float around as many times a week as you can.
    See if'n it don't help yer Redneck Butt....

Remember Loritab
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Don't believe the stories about no one have a successfully back surgery I know of two guys personally that have had them did what the doc's told to do and can ride all day now with out any problems. Only problem you're going to have is being inactive for the recovery period.
    I'll be praying for you.
    email me when ya get bored.
    Bought a trailer today not as nice as yours it's a home made job, but was cheap and it pulls good.
  17. cardboard

But definately do yer homework on the doctor you choose.
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I would get another Doc , my sons back got real messed up like yours L 3-5 or so when the car ran him & his horse down , his doc told him straight up a cut job will just be a different pain - sent him the physical therapy twice a week & told him to swim when he could , HR now has a above ground pool
  19. Informme

Informme New Member

Sorry to here about this FLHTBIKER . Hope yer up and riding soon. Take care of yourself.
  20. hotroadking

Also make sure your rehab assistants look good in bikinis in the pool
    with ya, LOL