1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Riding season 2016

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by badinfluence63, Aug 21, 2016.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Just a shout to everyone and Hows everyone doing. Haven't put many miles on this year. It's been mostly family time and work. Don't want to go to my grave being guilty of putting family on the shelf to worship at the altar of all things HD. Getting older and want to make sure family,which is getting bigger,gets due diligence
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Red Rider likes this.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Priorities change with life
    but you still need to take a little
    "me" time, otherwise family will
    drive you nuts LOL
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. badinfluence63

True that!!!
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Same summer with me. All of July was family time. All four boys and their families came in for in-laws 80th birthday celebration July 4th week. Maine son only stayed a couple days due to work. The others stayed longer. Once they all were gone we went to Maine by cage to visit with son there and for some r&r. Came home and then had PA son drop of 4 year old twins and 2 yr old for a week while he and his wife vacationed. July gone. August up to today; hotest we've had in many years. Upper 90's everyday. Humidity in the 90's also. Thunder showers almost everyday. Too hot to ride just hung around my pool mostly. Past saturday was supposed to be a little cooler (upper 80's) and finally no chance of rain. Took bike for a long overdue ride and visit to kid brothers house, about 45 miles. Left there for home and BOOM! 35 miles of torrential down pour. 3.5 inches of rain in less than 2 hours. Most streets flooded out. I couldn't see 50 feet. No rain gear and wearing a mesh jacket. Road through water up to a foot deep in spots. "While didn't I pull over?" couldn't see the curbs or no curbs. No overpasses either. Effin weather people suck at their job. Spent most of Sunday cleaning the bike. All kinds of debris in the cooling fins! Got out today to go to the bus yard and find out when work starts again. Beautiful out!! Cool breeze from NW and humidity is in the 30's! Temps in the upper 70's, PERFECT ! Nice short ride.
    Net, net: lowest summer bike miles in many years.
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. hotroadking

Heck that's an afternoon sprinkle down here....
  6. Fatboy128

Yeah I know. Years ago I visited Charlie46 and rented a Harley Deluxe. Coming back to Melbourne from the left side of the state we got hammered. Emptied about a gallon of water from each of our boots. That trip is what I was remembering Saturday.
  7. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

LOL, That was a good ride. :cool:

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Hey, all. Since my Maine run I've only done a few trips, visiting family in Californicatia. Dang, I hate the traffic near the cities there, but the many mountain roads are outstanding. Other than that, it has been trips to Dr's and Phys Therapy, trying to get my spine right. Finally made some progress in the last couple weeks.

Got deer, lion and elk tags this year, so have been scouting (and have a lot more to do) on my Suzi DR-650 dual sport. Ol' Red the Road King is getting ignored. I will say that I've been looking at the new little Harleys and thinking how I could convert one to Dual-Sport - though that is probably just a scheme & dream.

Got some touring coming up, and then Street Vibes in Reno in September. That'll be the 1st anniversary of a huge loss for Bike Talk, unfortunately, but me and whomever I'm riding with will toast Marc/FLHTbiker in remembrance.
  9. Fatboy128

Damn, I was just thinking of Marc yesterday while riding. A year, I still can't believe he's gone.
  10. badinfluence63

Yeah....his gone and how it happened is to this day a head shaker.
  11. hotroadking

Yeah hard to believe.
  12. Red Rider

My guess is either a medical thing (cardiac/stroke) or something stranger, like a bird strike or deer near-miss. I can't believe he was just inattentive and road into the centerline fence. Sun could have played a factor, but he'd have been able to deal with that. A mystery to us still.
  13. Fatboy128

Marc was Hypo or Hyper glycemic. He left the house without eating anything that morn. He and riding buds were going to stop at a favorite breakfast place some miles down the road. His wife tried to get him to at least eat a banana before leaving knowing he's got issues without eating. I know that at times I get the shakes and weak kneed without eating. He was leading the small group. No one saw a bird or anything to cause him to drift from the right lane into the left and keep drifting into the center median and then the cables used as a divider. Either he fell asleep or blacked out.
  14. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

He didn't mess around when it was time to go but I think that was before his sugar problems were that bad. I can't see him just running it off the road but I'll never know, only God knows how and Marc's in good hands now. I really hate those cheese grater road dividers pretty much instant death for a biker that hit's them
    joshbob likes this.
  15. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Every now and then thoughts of Marc pop into my head. He was a real gentleman and had the eye of an artist when he took all those beautiful pictures for us to enjoy.

My riding season so far has been pretty good - what's left of my family lives in Ohio, so we don't see each other. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise LOL.
  16. Fatboy128

marc.jpg Hasn't been the same around here since...
  17. Red Rider

Roger that.

Anyone else coming out to Street Vibes?
  18. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

19. Lucas Ind

Lucas Ind Member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Red Rider likes this.