1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Riding with my son

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very good article.....it should help with others dealing with the same apprehensions...
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yes a very good artical indeed , how long did it take you to relax riding behind him ?
    Abby I tried to leave a commet but it did not go through ,
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Very nice article Abby, wished I had a son to ride with. Must of made you feel proud.
  5. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

He came out here with a fancy bicycle and the thought that he'd ride it to work. Now he wants to sell the bicycle and his car and buy a motorcycle. I don't think a bicycle is any safer on the road. I'm glad he likes the motorcycle.

His father was a good rider. When Dan was a little kid, about 2 years old, he had this tiny plastic three wheeler. One day I watched as he went through all the motions to start it, just as his father started the Pan: gas, 2 kicks, choke, switch, kick, threw his leg over and took off - even used the pretend jockey shifter. :roflmao:
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

cool!!!!!!
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Yep, nice write.

So, Abby, did you ever take one of those dual-sports out for a ride?
  8. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Good article. I know just how you feel, well, maybe not exactly, since I did not carry mine, I let the wife do that.

When teaching both my young ones to drive, my daughter scared me a lot more than my son. She knew everything, and would not listen. My only complaint with my son was that he was often over cautious, which is probably the best complaint.

When my son wanted to learn to ride I was also apprehensive. We know, even as we ride them, that motorcycles are a lot more dangerous than a car. My son took the course, got the 'M' on his license, and we proceeded to get him a cheap Yamaha to ride. The first few months I insisted he ride with me or a good friend, not on his own right away. As you mentioned, the riders course is a good idea, but are they really ready for the big bad world?

Now I enjoy the times I get to ride with my son. I still hope and pray that none of the bad things out there jump up and get him, and always will, and I hope that his skill set is good enough to help him if they do. Part of parenthood, the constant worry.
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I've ridden the dual sport, but very limited. It was just a spin around the block - a little on dirt and a little on the road. I'm looking forward to a real trip, but I'm not sure it will happen soon since I'm working most weekends.

Panthera, I wonder if I'll ever stop worrying. :gah: I hate that part about having a kid, but thankfully I stopped at one. I knew I was in way over my head. :roflmao:
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

My kids are all in the 30's and I have found you never stop being a parent. They all learned to ride on those dangerous 3 wheelers and my son motocrossed when he was young. At 18 he purchased a Ducati Monster, that made me worry.
  11. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Very Good article makes me think it might be time to let the son ride my e-glide!
    He's 20 and had "M" for 2 yrs now and has been riding his future father in laws 650 for 2 seasons of and on. But it's mid-controls & mine is heel/toe shift and my front peg is set to low to standard shift it.

I just don't know if I'm ready to let my baby out on the road.........with my son :roflmao::roflmao:
  12. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Hot01 - That's one worry that never goes away - My wife and I raised 8 kids and about twice that many foster kids and we still worry like a new parent.
    One thing I do know is that if you'll done your job as a parent and they learned the basics - chances are they'll do ya proud once their grown. I know my wife and I are proud of ours rug rats. At least none of them are running around causing hate and discontent and all of them turned out to be pretty good citizens.
    Three of my four boys followed me into the Army and they all came back with Sgt. stripes in one piece. My girls are all giving me more headaches with more grandkids than I can count - but the way I look at it; thats just that many more future riders in the family.
    Enjoy them while ya can; life is fleeting and the road is long.:)