1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

ROAD KING - Stock vs. True Duel Exhaust

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Boomshaw, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Boomshaw

Boomshaw New Member

I recently put a V&H Pro Pipe HS on my 2006 Fat Boy, and I love it. Thanks CD! My pop liked the sound of it but not really the look. He prefers the stock duel pipe look of his 2001 Road King. And he prefers his exhaust tone to be deep, but fairly mild. No louder than my Pro Pipe.

Although he has a stock 88 setup (except for Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner, Original Screaming Eagle Slip-ons (not #2) and a Power Commander), we wondered if he would see any performance increase/decrease by just changing the brand of his slip-ons or by converting to a "true duel" setup. Someone even suggested that he close off the rear cylinder cross-over pipe with a freeze plug to "simulate" a true duel setup first, and see how the bike ran.

Anyone have any comments on these mods and what the effects are? Would temporarily closing off the cross-over on his stock pipes cause any adverse effects while he compared? Would this help keep the right side heat down? Just how bad a performer is the stock exhaust compared to True Duels?

Thanks for any and all comments!
  2. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Check this post

Check out this post, Touring Slip-on Ranking!! and determine for yourself if there is power loss with duals, stock or 2-1s. I just put on V&H Dresser Duals and did not notice any power loss. On a dyno you might see a difference, but I don't think the average rider will be dissapointed. That link also shows noise comparison. When I intalled the Duals my Screamin Eagle II Slip-ons got louder and in stereo, but when cruising on open road I can still hear the radio as well as with the stock headers.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I put the V&H true duels on my 03 E glide with samson ovels , SE air clearner & PC111 & can still here the radio & pipes & I did notice a bit more of power , I put them on about a month ago & got them from direct parts , I had the sllips on's before on the bike & they sounded good , but now sound even better , my 2 cents
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

What do you True-Dual guys think of the performance of the pipes? Sound is alright, but it's the getting down the road that matters to me. Do ya get better mid-range power with duals? Better mileage? Better all-around? Worse low-end? What can ya tell me about performance on the street?
  5. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Problems

Couldn't tell you. My 06 has had problems since the day I pulled it off the show room floor and it's at the dealer having the top end pulled and redone. When it was running correctly (10-15% of the time) with SE II slip-ons and stock headers or the duals, it felt like the duals allowed it to spin up faster and run better. Plus it removed all the heat associated with the cross over next to my thigh and the wife's right foot.

I had an 01 FXD with Hooker Stepped tuned 2-2s. Compared to stock there wasn't any comparison. The FXD outran my wife's FXDL. Still not much of a comparison since her's was stock and mine had a HSR42, Ness Big Sucker, yost power tube, the Hookers with 1 3/4 muffler. :D

Since I already have the SE IIs, I'm not wasting more money (for now) on slip-ons or I would be getting the D&D police interceptor slip-ons for the V&H Dresser Duals. They're supposed to be quiet and out perform the SEs.

I ended up getting the Dresser Duals based on CD's recommendation in this thread:Vance and Hines True duals.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

red rider , I can tell you about my set up , my milage went down when I put the Power commander & SE air cleaner on , I already had the samson ovels on it ,mpg went from 48 mpg to about 35 mpg , now sience I put the V&H treu duels on it's about the same mpg , my 03 E Glide with 41k on it run's bettery al; around from bottom to top , & it stay's the same even riding two up , & A lot less heet on the right leg area & on the pass right foot :cool:
  7. Red Rider

Thanks, folks. Don't know what to make of the less heat issue, as I ride year round and when its frickin' cold I like to stick my hand under the seat to thaw from time to time. But now that its dang hot it is a real consideration.

I'm a long-distance rider, taking 600 miles a day ain't even unusual and have nearly iron-butted a number of times....only reaching may destination stopped me from breaking a grand. So I want cruising performance, the best I can get for my carb'd 'King doing 80mph for looooonnnnng stretches. That's what I want the pipes for, not for burnouts in the p'lot. Anyone savvy on the best set-up for that?

Oh, and I switch altitudes all the time. Start out at 4000 feet and routinely pass 7,500 going west and 10,000 going east. So I run the stock HD CV carb with the minor Dynajet mod. I don't know if there is a better carb for my needs - any ideas? Thanks for your time.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  8. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Mikuni HSR42

I had the Mikuni with yost power tube on my FXD. Better throttle response, increased power and better gas mileage when I was riding normal, but with the HSR and Hooker pipes I stayed in the throttle more. I also teach the MSF courses and used the FXD to demonstrate. The HSR was 100% better, more precise and a lot more responsive when doing the slow maneuvers. I also had a Ness Big Sucker which eliminated the oil dripping into the filter and eventually onto the motor. In fair weather I used an air cleaner insert on the end of the filter, which fit perfectly. During heavy rain I used the stock cover.

Attached Files:

9. Red Rider

How is the HSR on altitude shifts? I've heard that the non-CV carbs don't take kindly to major swings in altitude. Anyone wanna weigh in on that? I'd hate to have an 18-wheeler run me over while trying to climb I-70 in Colorado at ten thousand feet.
  10. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Hmmmm

That I can't answer. Highest I'll go now is 3000 feet and I have fuel injection on the current ride.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I've ridden with with the HSR45 up to 6200 without problems same with a super E and a CV. All performed well.

As to the true duals they work fine, better than stock but not the best you can do, if you like the look then the V&H duals are a good deal with slip ons and will increase the flow. Bigger motors make better use of them
  12. AllWrappedUp

AllWrappedUp New Member

My 2 Cents...

My bagger (97 RK) is an Evo with EFI, and a power commander...I put Bassani true duals on it with the Power Curve and Bassani 4" slip-ons, no baffles (boy is it loud) I then installed the inversion cones and it runs like a beast...I don't think I could go without the deep throaty sound it puts out...but hey, that's my 2 cents!

PEACE! Through Superior Firepower
    Eric
    The Wrap King[​IMG]
  13. Red Rider

Sweet "King. Paint it yourself?
  14. AllWrappedUp

AllWrappedUp New Member

That's why I say the Wrap King...It's vinyl graphic...I own a sign shop called Affordable Graphix...Better than paint! You can peel it off and change it and it's about half the cost of paint! I just updated my website, it should be through in a little bit...check it out at www.cheapgraphix.com Thanks for the compliment!

E
  15. Red Rider

Wow. Checked out your site - pretty sharp Co ya got there. What's it cost for a FLHR, and how much does it add in weight (tho I'm guessing not much).
  16. LawnMower

LawnMower New Member

Wow

Yeah, I deffinitely like the idea of savin my paint. I have a '97 FLHRI. I just put bub rhienharts true duals on it and am planning on a new air intake system of some sort haven't decided yet what one. (any suggestions?). Also am considering 21" front wheel. already has 16" apes. and rear end has been chopped. will post pictures after i paint it ( or vinyl it?).. True duals Kick Ass!
    Ride Free..
    Lawnmower