1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rocker box gasket leak

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hot01, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I got a leak from the front rocker box cover, between the upper and lower covers, on the trip. I called the dealership since those covers were put on when they did the 88 to 95 inch upgrade last winter. I'm a month over the year warranty, and when I originally called, I was still within the 10,000 miles. Of course the bike was in their shop for two months getting $8,000 worth of work done after I got hit. I think they should deduct those two months from the time. They say they'll give me 20% off of labor, with the whole job being $118.

I was thinking about doing it myself, but I'm not sure it be worth the trouble. The biggest time is removing the gas tank to get to the heads. Would you do it yourself or feel that, for the money, let them do it? Out of principle, I'd rather do it myself. Plus it can't hurt to learn more about working on my bike.
  2. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Well, if you have the time, it would be worth doing it yourself and you would probably get it done quicker. However, for 118 bucks, thats not a bad deal for the dealer to do it and it would be guaranteed. Only problem is being without it and havin to take it and then pick it back up when their done. I guess ya just have to put a value on your time....................
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you can do it abby. it is very simple. lift/remove the tank for access. undo the bolts around the rockerbox, remove box, replace gasket, install bolts, torque to specs, replace tank..........piece of cake!!! you may be able to lift the front of the tank enough to do the job. prop it with a 2x4 or similar....and you will get to see what is under those covers. i am curious why it leaked in the first place??? check the cover and base real close for old gasket,ect.....
  4. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

OK, that's all the convincing I needed. I've got the time. After all, I'm now a full time biker chick. :roflmao: It would be totally lame of me to take it in.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very true!!!!!!!!! lol lol lol

if ya need help, just a call away!!!!!
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

i bet they used those paper HD gaskets :gah: darn if I can remember the name I used on my son's evo , but there thin metel gaskets about $50 for the set & well worth it , & yes you can do it you got skills , see if you know someone whose has a torque wrench in inch pounds
  7. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Question: Do you really have to take the tank off or can she just unbolt it and prop it up a couple of inches with a piece of wood? On my FLH I can prop it up enough to get at those covers.

Those thick rubber gaskets can slip on you if you don't have them in right or they are not tightened down evenly and you could fix it on the side of the road if you can just reposition them a little and you don't have to take the tank off.

I know now from my own oil-all-over-my-leg trip experience. I limped it home, but I wish I had tried to fix it on the road.:(

But if it is the flat gaskets on the head then you can't fix those on the road without new gaskets.
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Before I started the thread, I searched on rocker box gaskets and there was a thread from back in '05 on the subject. The guy was changing them annually. Someone suggested that since he lived in a colder climate, he should warm his bike up more before riding it. The guy said he was doing that now and it seemed fine.

When we were on the trip, it was really freaking cold. I would never have ridden in those temperatures if I didn't have to. I wasn't warming it up much at all. If the reasoning stated above is accurate, then that could have been the problem.

Those new gaskets are expensive. $36 for my primary cover gasket. :gah:

Speaking of oil on the leg, I realized on this trip that my chaps are like a scrap book of 7 years of riding. I can still see the huge mud stains from trying to push the ex out of a mud hole probably 4 or more years ago. They have lightened in color substantially over the years, have permanent bulges in the knees, and I now have a nice spray of oil on the bottom left leg as well as a couple of dark lines from wiping my dipstick on them. They need a visit to the cobbler for some stitching too.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Amy
    HD sells a rocker box wrench, it's a low profile ratchet that fits right into the center of the bolts on the covers.

You would probably find its worth the $35 (hit them up for a discount of 20%)

Are you doing only the tops?

Sounds to me like nothing more than a loose bolt or two.

Get blue locktite
    You can remove the front tank mount bolt and rear bolt, seat, slide tank back and wedge up but it will still be kinda in the way.

I'd rather take things off and work in the open, over the years I've found all my shortcuts add some time elsewhere. Probably just me.

the gaskets are easy to replace if you're doing just the top covers.

6 bolts each, do one at a time to be sure you put them back together right and clean clean clean oil off everthing before assembly (don't spray cleaner in the rocker box but clean the mating surfaces.

It's a couple of cigar job, just don't light when removing or installing the tank..
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I too have found it much to just remove the tank Had mine just setting up on the frame & my gradnson just barley bumped the saddle bag & down it went has a nice dimpil in the front corner & he never had the time to catch it , he helps me work on cars & bikes all the time so it's not like he was goofing off & did it just a freak deal