1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rockers rattle.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Danny, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Danny

Danny Member

I'm getting a rattle from the top end and it sounds like the rocker assembly. Are "Rocker Lockers" a gimmick? If so, whats the best way to go about taking care of it?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Rocker lockers work, I have them on mine, what year/engine...

They are easy to install, remove tank, remove top end of rocker boxes,
    remove the rocker assembly (get on TDC for that cyl first) install lockers
    and reinstall the assembly. move to other cylinder, repeat,

the noise is generally from the shafts inside the rocker arms tapping on the bolts that hold the assembly into the head, they are slotted on one side and rock (tap) the shaft of the bolt, you'll see marks where the shaft is tapping the black bolt when you take it out.

It won't get 100% but it will get a lot of it, and be sure to align the assembly up
    correctly when you install..

https://rockerlockers.com/wordpress/

3. Danny

Danny Member

Thanks for the tip. I was however, thinking about taking a ride to Palm Desert before taking care of the noise. Other than being bothered by the noise, would a ride like that do any harm to the motor?
  4. hotroadking

IF it's just the rockers, probably not, sounds like you are describing the typical noise in the top end of the HD engines...

You didn't give a description, twin cam, M8, Evo, that would help, also how many miles on the bike...
  5. Danny

Danny Member

It's an "01" FLHTCI with about 80,00 miles on it. But, now that you asked ;) Can you recommend that I look at anything else on the motor. Here's why. A few years ago I was about to ride about 800 miles when I decided to look at my cam chain (this came from a recommendation from a friend). At that time the bike had 50,00 miles and everything on the motor was original. Even the cam chain tensioner. When I pulled the cover, one shoe was broken and the other was metal to metal. Needles to say, it was a very good thing that I decided to inspect things instead of taking the ride. I just didn't know that the tensioers needed to be checked/replaced at 25,00. I've had motorcycles my whole life but never wrenched on them until this one. And BTW, this is my first Harley and I've done quite a bit since buying it new in 2001. I was lucky with my cams (I changed the cams, push rods and installed hydraulic tensioners) and don't want to rely on luck for the future of my Hog.
  6. hotroadking

Reason I asked is Twin Cams have a few places where you need to look for sound problems.

The rocker arm bolt issue is one and more recently diagnosed.

The other is the cam chain tensioners, which you fixed, but now have 30K on them,
    I'd drop the exhaust and cam cover to inspect them, might be worn pretty good or not at all, it's strange how different bikes wear differently, at the same time if you're going to keep this a long time consider changing the cams to a mild lift like andrews 510, sns 510 with gear drives. Not inexpensive but eliminates having to mess with the tensioners.

Lifters, twin cam lifters have some issues, they've been known to blow out and take out the cam area with debris, if you didn't change them at 50K, you absolutely need to change them out at 80. S and S lifters are the only good substitution, don't get HD lifters. A collapsing lifter could be an issue, not holding pressure.

If you are doing lifters might as well look in the cam chest, either way...

Since we can't be there to hear it, those are just some common problem areas.