1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rode some new 2010's

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

thanks for info on the new models , I'am still kepping my 03 gezzer glide :D
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Great article, new bikes are nice but old friends are comfortable.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Good article Abby, I have found on many of the HD models that the handle bars were not thought out very well, except for long armed people. Its almost like they know they will be selling bars for most everyone. Even my own 09 Ultra needs to have the bars a bit higher and back a couple of inches. The only bike I have rode that the bars felt perfect for me was the Softail Heritage Classic. I had a 99 Roadking once and the first thing I had to do was change the bars as they made me reach to far forward and would give me a back ache. Anyway it doesn't sound surprising of your findings.

How did you like the six speed.
  5. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

The six speed is nice, but I've finally figured out how to work my five speed and don't feel so strong about needing the six speed anymore. I think living on a state highway with a 65 MPH speed limit has helped. I don't have a tach, so I've never had any idea about RPMs on my bike; I just shift when it sounds right. Anyway, I push it further before I shift, which I can do easily because I have the space to get up speed quickly. I don't have to go into 5th gear until I'm at 60 or so, and it seems much more comfortable at higher speeds that way. If I speed up slowly in town, I feel as though I need to shift at lower speeds, and then when I get to 50 or 55, I'm already in 5th and it sounds like the RPMs are too high. I used to think it was all in my head until there was a thread here a few months ago about it.
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Oregon speed limits even on the Interstates are 65 as well, most people however will blow by you doing 70 plus. My 5 speed on the 01 Springer especially on secondary roads feels just right and don't feel the need for the speed on it even while on the freeway.
    My 09 ultra at many times the 6 speed is no good until doing 65 plus or it feels its lugging to much, so on the secondary roads which we have an abundance of I'm in 5th gear a lot.
    When I was riding in Idaho with their 75 speed limit the 6 speed was kind of nice.
  7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Here in the UK and Europe.

I don't use 6th before 60mph, usually 65 or above. It is good for high speeds on motorways, for cruisin' fast. UK speed limits are 70mph. Better for Europe where 130kph is more commonly the limit.

My view is 6th is pretty much only for drifting along fast, cruise control.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Interesting enough the Owners manual lists
    55 MPH as the minimum speed for 6th gear...
  9. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Seems you need to git over 5000 miles on the bike before you git it in 6th gear at 55mph and you can't be going up much of a hill.
    The rpms won't be over 2000
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree it seems low

but I didn't write the book LOL

and you have to remember the final drive ration is lower (higher numerically) on 09' and 10's
    they changed the pulley,