1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rode yesterday

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

It was a warm day, and I haven't done anything with my bike for a while. I didn't prepare it for winter before the surgery. We can usually ride a few times a month during the winter here, so I didn't think it was necessary. I didn't think the surgery was going to be that big of a deal either. When they removed the cast, I never thought I'd be able to move my fingers again. I made a t-shirt quilt just before Christmas, and I think that really helped get my hand moving again. Yesterday I put the battery tender on and tried the clutch. I was able to do it, but just barely. I didn't want to go very far and get stuck out, so I just rode around the block. I'm so happy! :D

Some pics of hand and quilt:

T-shirt quilt getting hung at the biker coffee shop

Attached Files:

2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

glad your doing better abby and was looking at getting out yesterday myself but the 60+ winds kinda took it out of me, maybe today, but glad you got a little feed for your need. There was a little hand/forarm exercisor thingamagig, you squeeze it and it is like squeezing a tennis ball but it is more like a clutch lever
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear your doing better Abby, keeping those fingers active probably helped more than you know. My wife has done a couple of T-shirt quilts now. I'm itching to get the bike out for a ride, can't wait for the weather to improve.
  4. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I'm so happy for ya Abby. Glad that the wrist has healed... You'll be riding before long... I'm gonna go riding today as well. Peace... Oh Yeah Happy New Year yall...:)
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Any ride is a good ride....well, almost any. Your ride yesterday counts as one heck of a ride. Glad to see ya back in the saddle, if only for a few moments. Work that hand as much as you can to get it ready for the thaw.
    :cheers:
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good to here you back in the saddle again if even for a short ride :cool:
  7. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle Abby. It won't be long now, you'll be on a trip.:) :)
  8. 05glide

05glide New Member

Glad to hear to got out. There is nothing like that first ride after being out of the saddle. No matter if its around the block or over night the fact is its OUT :D I was not able to ride for six months after a bad accident. Looking back, I really was not strong enough to ride when I did but it was the best theropy for my mental health. Well, some say I'm still mental, :roflmao: but riding makes me happy. :rolleyes:
  9. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Good news. I hope you continue to get better.
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Glad you got out, Daytona'll be here before you know it...heal well.
  11. cowboy

is that the side of your hand with pinky finger? or side with thumb ?
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If it remains a problem with the clutch HD has a Reduced Effort clutch Kit

It's not that expensive and can be easily put in with an hours labor or so it will help you by making it easier to pull, and thats good even when you are back to full strength. Basically a weaker spring and changed angles on the parts in the trans side cover.

[​IMG]
  13. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I think I have one of these brand new sitting in the garage (less the clutch spring). Bought it for my previous Heritage when I had a hand injury but never got around to installing. Its yours Abby if you need it.
  14. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks Ken! That's very kind of you. Santa brought me one. He offered to put it in, but I'm not confident in his technical skills, so I'm taking the bike to Thunder Mountain this week sometime. I'll have to get it there with the not-so-easy clutch. I'm trying to figure out if I should take the back way or the Corridor of Death (I-25). Seems like 25 would be less clutch squeezing without all the traffic lights.
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I would take the back road and save the wrist, might be a nicer ride anyway. Take it easy and don't over do it to soon, build it slowly and it will heal faster and stronger. Good luck and ride safe :)
  16. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Actually the back road would have more clutch action - I would think. I just made it to the gas station and back. I'm going to shoot for Friday afternoon to get the bike up there.

Cowboy, that's my thumb. I have an equally large incision across the back of my hand at the base of my index finger. They were able to do the third procedure orthoscopically, so there's just a little hole on that side of my wrist.

Funny thing about the ride I just took - the clutch wasn't too bad, but I couldn't adjust the mirror to save my life. My wrist isn't doing that motion at that angle yet.
  17. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'm going to attempt the easy clutch. Wish me luck.
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if ya get in a bind,,,,,,were right here!!!!!!!!! i got confidence in ya, i know you can do it. please be careful with the wrist tho........:)
  19. cowboy

Yes go with the easy clutch you can always change back later
    I was wondering about your hand pic just trying to figure out what the wifes hand will look like , she has a pin holding her thumb together now still in a cast they'll do the other hand around spring brake time
  20. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I don't need any special tools, do I?

I'm looking in the manual now to make sure.

Cowboy, that was a week after surgery, before they put the cast on. My scar isn't quite so hideous now.