1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Run baffles or not?????

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Heritage04, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Heritage04

Heritage04 New Member

Alright guys, got an injected o4 Heritage,got Vance and Hines Bigshots on the way(from Direct Parts Inc.) :) Due for arrival tomorrow,thanks for the speedy service! Anyway,debating on whether or not to take baffles out,really want the volume,but don't want to kill performance(will be installing SE breather kit,also) Have a couple friends one has 750 shadow and another who has the Yamaha Road Star,both have long shots(no baffles) and the actually helped their perfomance,and i like the sound.I've talked to local H-D dealer they say leave them in,as did Vance and Hines!Will it kill torque that bad to take them out?Really want the volume,them rice burners making me sound BAD! :D
  2. SISK

SISK New Member

Leave 'em in

Heritage04,

I've got an '03 Heritage with the V&H Bigshots on it. I'd strongly recommend that you leave the baffles in the pipes. The main purpose of the baffles is to control the exhaust flow by creating sufficient backflow pressures, which are necessary to maintain a even torque curve so you can smoke your buddies on the rice burners.

The baffles also affect the sound, but IMO I think the sound is much better with the baffles in the pipes. After I installed my V&H Bigshots, I removed the baffles just to see what the pipes would sound like with them removed :eek: It was a loud and harsh sound, much worse than the nicely tuned low rumble sound of the pipes when the baffles are installed.

In order to satisfy yourself you need to try it both ways - Once the pipes are mounted, take the bike out somewhere you can open it up. Do some aggressive starts and run up through the gears until you get a "seat of the pants" feel for the torque your bike has with the baffles in.

Then, take the baffles out. They are easily removed by taking out the set screws in the end cap and removing the cap, then taking out the set screws in the baffle and sliding it out of the pipe. It's a bit more difficult to get them back in because you have to line up the screw holes in the pipe and baffle. Just take a "Patience Pill" before you put them back in. Then, do the same riding test and see if you notice a difference in the torque. You'll be able to notice the sound difference right away.

That should help you decide about your baffles.

You didn't mention anything in your post about adjusting your ECM by adding a PowerCommander, Re-Flash, DFO, H-D Race tuner etc. (assuming it's an injected bike). After you install your pipes and breather, your air/fuel mixture will be affected and you'll want to adjust it so you can optimize your power potential and avoid any damage to the engine or components.

Good luck,
    Be sure to post your outcome and a pic of your bike.

SISK

The people you care most about in life are taken from you too soon, the less important people just never go away, and the real pains in the ass are permanent!
  3. Heritage04

Heritage04 New Member

Thanks!!

Thanks Sisk for the input,guess i want even waste my time taking them out! I kinda like a deep rumble,just thought it might sound even better without them!Not gonna lose alot of performance just for loud!
    How do this custom bikes get away running those extremely short and loud pipes,and not lose performance? i know they are built,but how do they not lose all that torque runnin' those shorty's straight?
    Thanks again!!!!!!
  4. Heritage04

Heritage04 New Member

outcome

I will try to get a pic on and post results.Pipes arrived today,man if they just sound as good as they look!!!
  5. SISK

SISK New Member

Pipes

Heritage04
    Are you installing the pipes yourself? If so, you should slip one of the baffles out and look at it, or at least shine a light up the pipe so you can see what it looks like. You'll see that there's not much more to it than a cylinder of perforated metal. It just creates a bit of turbulence and slows down the flow of exhaust.

I assume that many of the custom bikes are built for looks and short distance rides and therefore it is not a real concern if they sacrifice a few ft. lbs of torque for some cool looking pipes. Besides, many of those bikes have big cubic inch mills and they wouldn't notice a bit of drop in torque. But you can bet that any race bike will have the pipe tuned for optimization of torque.

Good luck with the pipes.

You didn't say if the bike was carbed or injected or if you had plans to adjust your air/fuel ratio after installation of the new pipes and air cleaner.

I'll try to post a pic of my bike with the V&H pipes

SISK

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P.J. O'Rourke

Attached Files:

6. Heritage04

Heritage04 New Member

It is injected,sorry,thought i said,and yes me and rice burner buddy :D are gonna install them.afterwards will take to local dealer for breather kit and ECM download. First thing i did when they arrived was to shine light into pipe to check out baffles!you're right not much there!!! Can't wait to hear them roar!!will i need to get this other done before riding(breather and ECM)or would it be ok to ride after pipe installation,don't want to screw anything up!!!
    Nice looking Hawg by the way :) love them pipes!!!
  7. SISK

SISK New Member

Yes, your first post mentioned that the bike was injected, my oversight :eek:

You don't need to worry too much about riding it between the time you install the new pipes and before you install the new aircleaner and ECM download.
    I'm assuming that you'll have the A/C and download done within the next few weeks.

SISK

It's not what you wear, It's how you take it off.
  8. Heritage04

Heritage04 New Member

Yeeeeeeee-Haaaaaaaa!!!!

Man got them bigshots on!!!!(perfect fit,easy installation) And do they ever sound GOOD!Was exactly what i was wanting,No need to take out baffles,plenty of volume!!!!!And can tell a difference in throttle response already!!!Now just breather kit and ecm download to go!! Hell,i had to go ride in the rain today,just to sound 'em off :D !!!!!I'll try and get a pic on when it drys up around here and I get it cleaned up AGAIN!!!!
    Thanks SISK,and Direct Parts!!!!
    Very Pleased!!!!!!