1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Runnin lean

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jcip78, May 5, 2010.

1. jcip78

jcip78 New Member

I have a 2008 Sportster XL1200L. I put slip on drag pipes on the bike, never did any adjustments to the EFI, I was told I didnt have to. I pulled a plug out and noticed the plug is white and dry. I was also told that the factory sets these bikes lean for emissions reasons. What can I do to correct the problem or did I somehow install these pipes wrong? What eles could make the machine run lean? Could I have an exhaust leak? the performance of the bike seems to be good no real changes that I noticed. Really like the look and sound of these pipes. Heck, for all I know it could have been runnin lean since I bought it. Any and all advised would be greatly appriciated.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Generally you can put on a set of slip ons and not worry too much,

Yes the factory setup for fuel is very lean for EPA reasons.

Reading plugs with unleaded is darn near impossible, unless it's flooding with fuel or
    backing up with oil, the plugs don't really turn tan anymore Fuel is too clean..

I would consider a powercommander or TTS Mastertune for the bike, also put on a Kuryakyn high flow air filter or K&N,

check with phil at California Phil's Concordia, KS (785) 243-9991 regarding these parts, a filter, pipes and a tuner will do wonders.

JMO drag pipes suck when making power for the street, so leave the baffles in.. It should help your street performance...
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

agree!!!!!