1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rust problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by surfit, Aug 10, 2006.

1. surfit

surfit New Member

I live four houses from the beach and I am having a real big problem with rust.
    It keeps poping up in really hard to get places.:mad: What type of spray or wax can be applied to prevent this?:confused:
    Thanx:cool:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have lived on galveston island.....right on the beach. i no longer live there. i have not found anything to prevent rust when living that close to the salt air......i have spoken with many people.....same answer. the best i can tell you is to either live with the fact that itis gonna rust, or powder coat. maybe some one has an answer........if they do, they will be very rich......if it works..........have fun:)
    chuck
  3. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

The only thing that really works is keeping it clean and storing it inside a nice dry garage.

I've used clear fingernail polish inside of the allen head bolts and it works reasonably well but has to be re-applied every so often.
  4. Seahag

Seahag New Member

I'm about to paint my 94 Chevy Blazer with this stuff: http://www.rustbullet.com/Products/Automotive/Automotive.htm

Everything I've been able to find out about it is very promising. I am the third owner of this truck; and it has over 280,000 miles on the body. It has been undercoated and is holding up as well as possible considering all the salted roads this thing has endured in the past 13 years...But if I don't do something soon, it will decay out from under me. The truck runs too well and has brand new tires; so I don't want to retire it yet....besides who wants a truck payment.

Rust bullet does come in black now too...but I immagine you'd rather use it in a primer role.