1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rv water heater trouble

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by freerider8, Jun 9, 2008.

1. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

this is my trouble, I have an 1986 shasta rv. the hot water tank is an atwood model. here is the problem when the season started I had hot water and the gas supply was fine then somehow the gas line that goes to the pilot cracked so I replaced that and I was back in business, then after that first initial heating of the water after the line change it has not worked since. I would light the pilot on the tank and hold it for the recommended time to allow the thermocuppler to heat up and turn the control knob back to on for the flame that heats the tank and the pilot goes out. so after checking with someone that has more knowledge than I. I then changed out the thermocuppler since that is suppose to be the part that tells the gas valve to open to allow the gas to flow so it can heat the water, well after putting on two thermocupplers, 2 different ones I still have no hot water and the pilot light will still not stay on once lit in the pilot stage, once you turn the control knob to on for the gas to heat the water the pilot light goes out and it is suppose to stay on. so my next question is does anyone know if I now have to replace the whole control element that controls gas flow and goes to the water tank, this is the part that has the gas line coming to it before it ever gets to the pilot, I am unsure of the official name of the part.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
    freerider8:banghead:
  2. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Replace the whole assembly. I can't remember the technical name for it either, but I've got an older travel-trailer & I've gone thru the same thing you did - twice. And the unit on mine is also an Atwood. Can't remember what I paid for it last time, but the unit wasn't all that expensive, local RV centers keep them in stock & they're not hard to replace. There are several different versions, so when I've replaced the unit I've taken the old one with me to be sure to get the right replacement.
  3. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

Thanks
  4. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

Had the exact same problem last Fall. I ended up replacing the entire regulator (?) unit. Works great now. Good luck.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Don't all RV names end in "Glide"?:roflmao: