1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

S&S 570G Gear Drive Cam Kit & Performance Valve Springs.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RedDawg, Apr 5, 2006.

1. RedDawg

RedDawg New Member

Okay things have changed since my original post.
    I am installing S&S cams for a FLHPI Twin88 2003, the cam is S&S 570G Gear Drive Cam Kit & Performance Valve Springs. Should I also look at going to the 95" 1550 top end while the work is being done to replace the valve springs. What in addition to Cylinders/pistons & rings will I need to replace? Does it make since to do this now?

Any advise will be appreciated!
    Red Dawg!
  2. J R Canaguier

J R Canaguier New Member

gear drive and cams

I did not change the valve springs when I installed the cams because it was not necessary with the stock bore and heads. The Jim's lifters made the engine much quieter and is now acceptable. Along with the gear drive and cams you must be sure to replace all o rings, including the oil pump o rings. Install adjustable pushrods and Jim's lifters. I have also installed a Screaming Eagle Hi rev ignition module, K&N air filter and a Dyna Jet carb kit with plastic slide. The dyna jet kit includes a bypas tube which routes the fumes out a hose to the underside of the motor rather than force them back into your intake system to be reburned. My exhaust is stock with Screaming eagle muffler, and I use Synthetic oil everywhere. This upped my HP from 61 stock to 75 without touchiing the cylinders or heads. If I installed a Mikuni carb and a Vance & Hines HS Pro 2 into 1 pipe I would get another 20 hp. All this would still be less expensive that going to a bigger bore. I am very happy with the performance now as the engine pulls much stronger from bottom to mid range and runs crisp at the top. You will probably have to richen up your jetting a tad by going to a size larger pilot jet and raising the slide 1 notch. If you have FI then you will need to get your system re mapped. Hope this helped.

JR
  3. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Re:s&s Gear Drive Cams

RedDAWG,
    I have the S&S 570g cams in my DYNA & am completly satisfied with the fitment,quality&performance they provide.You will not be disappointed.I would recommend a few items though in addition to your list,Oil pump(FUELING),or "baisely" oil pump pressure relief spring for your stock cam plate.Some better flowing lifters such as "JIMS","SE",FEULING-"HP's,ect..The list could go on & on & on.The message here is:How deep are your pockets & how far you looking to go?.Check with these folks at DIRECT-PARTS,Their knowledge & people will help you choose what you need.
    00 wildglide :cool:
  4. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Who's filling your head full of that sh*t...its not that easy buddy, believe me.

As to REDAWG...I wouldn't even THINK of putting those cams in a stock 88". They are made to work with ported heads with a compression range around 10 to 1. You will have a very soft bottom end with those cams unless you do a big bore at a minimum....and preferably have your heads ported.

If you want a bolt in cam, made to work with a stock 88", look at the S&S 510, The Andrews Tw-21, Wild things TC-1, or similar.

Your best bet is to save up enough money to put together a PROVEN PACKAGE. There are a lot of great parts out there, that don't always work well with other great parts. It is a matter of synergy...where the sum of the build is greater than the parts. You will save money in the long run and be happier with the performance....I guarantee it.
  5. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yepper,,,

>>>Your best bet is to save up enough money to put together a PROVEN PACKAGE. <<<

LMAO,,, Seahag speaks the truth.
  6. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Re:seahag Comments

TRUE THAT!!!,
    I totally know what you're saying...I too tried going with some mild cams & "big" bore cyls. w/new jugs.This set up was money spent-with not a whole lot of H-P gained.I ended up disasembling the whole thing & researching a new plan of attack.The final build consisted of:SE-perf. heads,Jims-rockers,Feuling pump,DELKRON cam-plate,DELKRON rocker supports,SE-ign.,S&S 570g cams,& a 42 Mikuni carb.The bike now pulls hard & is a real kick-in-the-ass to ride.It's also got a ThunderHeader too.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  7. Seahag

Seahag New Member

The 95" engine with flat top pistons, SE performance heads, cometic .03" head gaskets, and S&S 570 cams IS a PROVEN PACKAGE! I have heard many good things about them.

Glad you found a good one.

My build works pretty well...but I learned later, I could have had as much performance, and maybe more, for less money. Live and learn.
  8. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Seahag

I'm actually planning a future build-up with your bike in mind...love those hotrod baggers.Maybe NOS,maybe not(wifes reminding me of kids college fund).:p
  9. Cracker

Cracker New Member

I did the 570 SE performance head build on a flh along with:

Had a local porter CnC port the heads, 5 angle valve job, new springs and decked to insure 10.1 compression
    Mik 42, DTT ignition and V&H Propipe
    Ported stock intake to match head port job
    Baisley oil spring

I have only been able to put about 70 miles on it since the build, (weather sucks here) very happy with how the bike pulls and the quiet operation of the motor. I can't wait to get more miles on it to find out how well it runs up to the rev limit...:p

I would recommend this build to anyone who desires a 10.1 build who wants reliability along with the flexibility to run lower octane gasoline.

Good Luck!