1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

S&s carbs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gabby, Jun 18, 2009.

1. gabby

gabby New Member

i'm looking to rejet and or adjust my s&s. it has a 80 main jet and i wonder about the float level. seems to be running rich. what is a standard setting on the accelerator pump? i rarely pull 3/4 throttle. most of the time i'm maybe 1/2 or less. did i jump around enough???? where can i get jets? ok, that outta do it.
  2. whacker

whacker Active Member

you might want to drop down on your intermediate jet....there is a web site that will give you the way to adjust your carb,when I find it I will send it to you....you can get jets from J&P cycles and many other places,I had trouble getting my S&S set right ...on my sportty..ended up getting a CV carb from Kenfuzed ...Good Luck....Al
  3. whacker

whacker Active Member

4. gabby

gabby New Member

thanks whacker, great site. all the info i could use. a few adjustments and the bottom end is mean. still not happy with carb throughout. been told to get a mikuni ?? it's better than it was. so for now, ITW
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

for my money i would use a cv.........:)
  6. gabby

gabby New Member

chucktx,cv??:confused:
  7. hddoc94565

hddoc94565 New Member

IMO you should go with a Mikuni. The throttle response with a dialed in mikuni is fantastic. I have run them on several of my bike, The only thing with them is finding someone to tune it. You will have to bone up on carb theory or find a tech thats not afraid to put in the time. But i have found them to be real close out of the box. Good luck. SP
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the cv carb is very user friendly. it will make power all through the rpm band, will work at all altitudes with no extra tuning. you set it once and forget it. they are inexpensive....about 50 bucks on ebay, and will work from an 883 up to 96 cubic inch....i juts put one on my old panhead.....and have one on my 06 geezer glide......it need no special tuner to set it
  9. 1WildPig

1WildPig New Member

I don't know what engine you're running, but on my '97 RoadKing with an 80 inch engine, I'm using a .28 intermediate and a 72 main jet - maybe a 74, but no bigger ...

I like my S&S carb ... once I set it according to the directions, it runs great, I never have to use my choke - just twist the throttle three times and it fires right up, and it gets good gas mileage: running hard will get 40+ and easy cruising around 50 to 55 MPH will net 50+ MPGs ...

The accelerator pump should be set to where you can blip your throttle (on a fully warmed engine) and it respond immediately without causing any black smoke out the pipes..this is done by backing the screw out a 1/4 turn at a time til you hit the sweet spot....but this is done AFTER determining the proper intermediate and main jet.

The only problems I've had was one time the accelerator pump got "stuck" after sitting up over the winter (after a good washing) but was easily corrected by cleaning and lubing it a little ... and here just this past Saturday the factory supplied clear fuel line cracked and started spraying fuel all over mine and my wife's leg while on a road trip ... the clear fuel line was just three months shy of being eight years in use, and although a bummer to have happen on a trip, it was easily replaced (with a "real" fuel line!)- thanks to some friendly people in Adamsville TN - home of the late, legendary Sheriff Bufford Pusser ... :cool: