1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

S&S E model quesitons (CD) and others

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Jan 29, 2006.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Okay... I've been told that the Vtwins will have a noticable difference with an Emodel S&S on it. the local reputable tech in the area has done many
    My HD-CV(02modelcarb) with the aftermarket air cleaner kit has made noticable difference to me me (with slip ons).
    The question is how can a 39mm S and S enhance it more( I've been told and guaranteed)
    ..the CV pulls/allows in what the heads will flow?
    ..engine is just an air-pump.... We discussed...mikuni...edels..the adjustments is a pain I've see these model as well and why S&S still ends up beinf the choice....
    1. is it the longer entrance into the carb that makes the difference(with the tear drop air cleaner having even more air entrance surface?) would a stock CV rejetted with a velocity stack work just as well?
    I am missing something...what make the S&S more noticable by the seat of your pants even more than the stock CV rejetted ....

how is it getting/forcing/allowing more air/fuel mix into the engine?
    The local did say the Gmodel wouldbe more than what is needed for stock engine..honest fella been in business for 30 years...alot of others say they could tell...
    Can they? or is it not just wanting to admit the money spent was not well placed?
    anyone?
    ps if it does work out to be that noticable Hmmm maybe... I've already seen on the CD site the abilty to purchase one......so If I wanted to go fast I should have bought something else but if I wanna have some more low to mid pull I'd like the S & S..was a comment by local reputable family shop.
    Don't think he is dishonest just want a bit more explanation.... ( and many more opinions.....)
  2. oldsuperglide

oldsuperglide New Member

s&s super E

I run the E carb. went from a 38mm bendix. I like the s&s carb's once you get them jetted adjusted, you really don't need to mess with them. Just sticking a s&s on the bike will make some differance. It all depends on how much money you want to spend. Their not cheep. For 500.00, If you get say 5% more power, you probably won't notice that much. Change cams, then you will notice a change. My bike with the "E" was still sluggish on low to mid range. now i have an 'S' grind cam, same one that ran in the knuckle engine. It made a big differance, mid range to alittle over 6000RPM. You need to hold on by the seat of your pants. The 's' cam is the same thing as the Andrews'B' cam. Using the right set up it will make a big differance. hope that helps.
  3. Tumshie

Tumshie New Member

Carbs

Stay with your CV, it will support you up to 100 hp., will adjust to different elevations, and you can use the money saved to buy some other item that will give you more satisfaction.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the cv is a very good carb. it will handle a lot of cubes and is very easy to maintain. jet changing takes only a couple of minutes.
    chuck
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The E is a good carb, it's design is older but it still works. Out of the box it will work well on most bikes.

The G is too big for most twin cams, even though they say over 80 use the G on the twin cam you need to wait until you are over 95. (Had both, not a HP or tq different dyno tuned on both) E did like gas though but had better throttle response.

The CV is a good carb I run a Woods 505 Rebel on my 116, an "improved" version of the cv51

He takes stock CV carbs and bores them out, new plate, new bowl extension changed transistion ports etc. A 40.5 cv will make great power on a 95, in fact it out performed a dyno tuned Mik 45 out of the box (woods)

I had a carb jones for a while LOL

Unless you've popped in super agressive cams, pipes and air filter I doubt seriously that you'll see a world of difference with the E over a stock cv that has been tuned properly on a 88 inch motor. Maybe a hp or two up top but down bottom it won't make a ton of diff, that goes for CV44 or Mik 42 on a stock or close to stock bike.

Opt for a SE filter kit and pipes and wait until you're ready to do the whole thing (unless it's a budget thing) then dyno tune it

E won't hurt you but I don't think you'll see a lot of gain
  6. oldsuperglide

oldsuperglide New Member

s&s super E

got in here couldn't get out. STILL LEARNING. Your right the e carb is good. just went thru mine this weekend. its been 4or5 years. I've never had any problems with it, I posted a reply on another thread, tells what i did to get more power, still to much money.
  7. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

what I figure

I bet most are putting on the S&S right after the bike is purchased...
    so they are gettting the change from the less restrictive air cleaner along with the Carb.....but to go from the CV already with air cleaner kit to a different carb.... is there gonna be that much difference even by the "seat of ones pants?
    After all most of the range is on the idle jet anyways..The main jet kicks in at higher RPMs.... that is what I already have... I have a grasp on CFM differences and "stuff" from building several automotive engines in our Machine shop...
    Mine runs great with the setup I've done alot of it was getting the right parts together... but was just curious "about it"..again :D
    The Miks appear to have the quickest flow and the most range of adjustment independent "ranges" 1/8..1/4..1/2..etc turn of a throttle where as the CV. Grant it my CV is not stock in or outside (beyond "jetting") but those are little things to ensure flow. Thanks to all..still curious..... :confused:
  8. hotroadking

It's kind of like the guy that takes his car in for an oil change, new plugs and a wash after 4 years of hard use.

"Dang this feels like new"

Well duh!

JMO unless you're doing a lot more to the motor with a stock 88 the stage 1 hop up of air filter, pipes and then tune the carb will get you more HP and tq increase per $ spent.

Adding a Super E or Mik with higher flowing filter isn't a bad thing but it's probably not doing a lot more than the SE filter on a stock CV would do.

Now if you get into cams, heads, intake, higher compression you need to look to a better carb.
  9. oldsuperglide

oldsuperglide New Member

s&s super E

hotrodking your right people are putting on a carb, and say look at me gooo!! :cool:
    I put on new tires and swore I had about 100 more horses under the tank :D If you just want to think you are going to go faster. then stick a new carb. on. You really need to check out a few stat's and study the pro's & con's of several types. I didn't know crap when i bought mine :confused: Just got lucky with the "E".
  10. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

My cycle is a LOT faster after I wash it... :D
  11. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks Fellas!!(Money for memphis again instead)

I've read all kinds of performance related articles and seen MANY attempts(succesfull and not so successful) and like mentioned unless I plan on getting into cams and all there is not alot going on pass the AIR KITS AND pipes..I just got this tinkering thing built in..mine runs great..I'll end up saving my money and spending it again this summer on BEALE Street in Memphis.
    Dang that food is still on my mind...This time I'll find ya Killer-B.
    BEER UP AND PARTY DOWN :D !!!!
    I actually got a Mik tm42 setting right here beside my computer..wonder if I could modify..nevermind.... :rolleyes:(dang genetics) I am gonna probably try it out vs. the CV I have "done up: Hey it is brand new and I did not pay for it(yet)..just trying it out... :D ...Think what I'll end up doing is.... find a project bike or another car and keep hands off the ride.
  12. hotroadking

Mik 42 is a great carb, you may feel faster with it due to the single slide effect of the mik, you may not have any more power but the throttle response is good, same as putting a lighter spring in the cv so the slide comes up faster.
  13. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

funny

I've done that already..the other usual tricks and just about everything other than bore it out(the carb) :D ...thanks for the input HRK as always..much appreciated....think I might flip in the andrews at the end of this season...got a couple long hauls in before that... then a short putt back to Memphis..that'll be fun with cams!!! A few friends of mine that have taken their bikes apart and experimented with stuff for years call it the "slippery slope". Once you start down the path it just keeps sliding you further :D
  14. bigsean

bigsean New Member

my shovel has an E on it, stock 80ci. Did the top end on it made it a little better. Cam and solid lifters really helped.The header made it complete. As the other reply's say if you want more HP you have to get into cams,tuned exhausts and also changing sprockets and/or pulleys will give you different power distribution at certain RPM's or speeds. I prefer dependability over too much horsepower. It is all what YOU want the bike to do for you.
    Sounds like your local shop has been giving you good and honest advice. :cool:
  15. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Mine is faster after an oil change...:)