1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Saddlebags and such

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FlynDutchman, Aug 16, 2008.

1. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Ok, I figured if anybody would know it'd be you guys.....I have a set of "Iron Bags" saddlebags on my bike (see pics) and lately I've been noticing that the bags are saggin a bit in the back & looking more like old luggage than saddlebags. Does anybody know of a way to help em retain their shape ??? maybe an insert or something ??
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I have the same problem with mine, but its really not a problem... The bike has character. At least mine does. Don't plan on fixing it. But there is a fix. Not sure of the name of the company, but they sell a kit that repairs the sagging problem. I know I heard about it here, so if you were to search for it, you'll find it...:)
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I'am not sure but remember , someone had the leather bags , & got a kit to put into them to help out the sagging , I think it was ringo
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i think that eglidegoddies.com has supports for leather bags.......:)
  5. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Yep....got my inserts from company called " Got Saggy Bags", you can go to got saggy bags.com and see their products. Not sure if they would work wiht your bags. Most of the companies make the kits for the stock HD bags.

There is a couple companies that make them. I did a search on the web for saddlebag inserts. If ya go to the last item on the projects page on the forum, I posted some before and after pics. In the pic's I did not have the lid inserts installed because it was to cold here in Michigan to use the adhesive they supplied with the kit. However I did install the lid inserts this spring and the tops are flat as a table top. Makes a great place to set your beer when your relaxing after a long ride, or wrenching on the bike.:cheers:
  6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Well I guess you can fix leather, but it is not a rigid material, it will mark, change shape, weather, become different to how it was new.

When I bought my new Harley. Salesman, "The chrome and paint can all be maintained or restored, the marks in the leather are yours to keep". Or something similar but that was the gist of it.
  7. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Thanks....I'll check out those sites....I also thought about just using a piece of cardboard to cut out the basic shape & then transfering it to like a hunk of sheet metal with a couple of bolts between 2 peices to keep the bags pushed out....
  8. Panthera

Panthera New Member

You could try getting your hands on some corrugated plastic. My aftermarket bags have that as an inside liner. It is more durable than cardboard, and lighter than sheet metal.
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sheetmetal may vibrate through the leather......................