1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Samson Ripsaw exhaust system

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Jan 26, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Samson Ripsaw exhaust system...anyone got any opinions on them, I can get a set at a good price, but I do not want them to be louder than the Screaming Eagle Mk1's that I have a present. Prefer them to be quieter.

Can they be classed as Free breathing as referred to in the CVP website:

With that said, a Stage 1 upgrade consists of the following:

Free breathing air cleaner.
    Free breathing exhaust.
    Rejetted carburetor or remapped EFI.
    Upgraded ignition (if require*).

Harley Stage 1 Upgrade
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

they will be extremely louder...

every samson I've heard is loud buddy has Calibre true duals on FL
    LOUD...
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My 01 Springer came with Sampson fishtails, no internal baffles and man those puppies were loud. Have the V&H fishtails on it now, loud yes but not like the Sampson's were.
  4. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Hey guess what ...looks like I have been ripped off by another dealer in the UK yet again

Thanks for letting me know they are going to be loud, so probably not even worth fitting them.

Are there any pipes that I can get that do give free'er breathing without being too noisy or am I going to have to stick to the standard pipes?
  5. FLHTbiker

Try the Vance & Hines, good fit and finish
  6. hotroadking

Well you may or may not have been ripped

What is loud to me may not be for you....

Riding a bagger with radio I prefer a deeper
    mellow tone.

ON my 124 heritage I have bassani pro streets
    and they will take your ear drums out at 100 Yards

The best JMO pipes for your Sporty are slip ons made
    by Khrome Werks

the HP+ or any slip on have great sound, deep, louder than stock but
    not alarm wake the neighbors up at 4 am loud...

and they are inexpensive.

Check the factory outlet, they have a set of AR+ slip ons normally $350 us
    on sale for $175 here is the scoop from the site, just click on factory outlet and scroll down...

AR® 100 - for XL, Softails 88 c.i.d. plus. Same construction as AR® III but features full 2" headers with 2 3/4" mufflers and increased diameter AR® cones for a 30% increase in volume. Designed for ultra high performance XLs and Softails. Offers good mid-range and top end performance. Tapered style only. Deep, mellow tone. Beefy" Looks.

For XL Evolution (Right footpeg/brake assembly may need to be spaced outward on 1200 Customs). Does not fit 2004-06 models. Mounts to factory bracket. Must use KW heat shields.
    210600A.. Tapered; fits 87-03 XL …………$175.00 (LIST $349.99)
  7. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Thanks for that.. I'l take a look

It is not so much as what I think is loud but what the local police and the French/German Customs border agencies think. I have a mate who has ridden all over Europe, and he also now works for our local government Vehicle Inspection & Enforcement Agency, and he heard the SE 1's I had and he said I would definitely get pulled in Europe with them, and if I got stopped locally by his department inspectors, I would have to get them changed or have the bike taken off the road till I do.
  8. hotroadking

WOW
    that's what a bunch of non rider do-gooders here would love to do
    make them all stock

I don't care what anyone says a motorcycle that makes a bit of noise is safer.

How do you count near misses
    and how would one determine how many were
    avoided because the motorist heard the bike, Japanese, usa, beemer whatever..

I've got air horns and people come over,
    crack the pipes and they don't (generally some a boobs)

I would venture if the SE1's will get you popped and stopped the Samsons are going to for sure.

If you don't sit there and do burnouts or rapp the throttle at every light, stop and ride sensibly then you should be good.

Then you maybe aware of a little web site called You Tube

Go there and put in the name of the exhaust and you'll find someone that's taped it

Hear the Samson Ripsaws on Softail

Khrome Werks Slip ons on Sporty Video
  9. hotroadking

In case you'd like to hear my Bassani Pro Streets

THis is the same, mine are slash cut

Bassani Pro Street

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_rtrrZly_w[/YOUTUBE]
  10. FLHTbiker

If the laws where you are at are that strict then don't think of the Vance and Hines either, they are louder than the SE pipes. I to think loud pipes saves lives (riders). The SE pipes are probably one of the quieter open type slip-on mufflers, JMHP that is. You just may be stuck with the stock pipes.
  11. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Yes, it is a right pain over here. If I stick to the island and am careful then generally you can get away with most things, but going over to Europe and crossing over the borders is a nightmare by all accounts.
    Bullbars, winches, anything on the front of a 4x4 is also banned over here, but I have had a winch on the front of my Landrover for the past 4 years and not had a problem, but then again i have never been stopped in a road check with it.

I did like the sound of the SE1's but I am wondering if they have been tampered with, at least that is what Phil at California Phils thinks

He suggested that I could try to wrap the baffles in the SE1's with some fiberglass muffler packing. But my SE1's do not have any baffles, they are have a straight hole through the centre with a single deflector plate at the header pipe end.

Nice bits of video on those links, those Bassani pipes sound great.

I am going to wait till these Ripsaws arrive and see what they are like. but for now have given up on the idea of doing any Stage 1 upgrades at least till I get back from Europe. I want to be able to run the bike for a week or so at home with al the mods before I go away, and time is getting short now, so it will all have to wait till i get back.
  12. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Well the new pipes arrived BG3's

XL2-874's

These are the pipes that the dealer sold me when I asked for quieter pipes than my SE1's. He also told me they had removable baffles, but these pipes have curved ends, all one piece welded construction....there is no way I can see these baffles coming out without cutting and welding.

My fault I suppose that I trusted the dealer . I did not ask for the exact model number and do some research first, but still well pissed off about this...and $455 USD out of pocket as well. OK that is a bit cheaper than the list price. so looks like e-bay again.

I have not got the Forward Control Kit yet, so need to wait for that to arrive before I can even try these pipes out, as they do not fit with mid mount controls. I said I had mid controls but was going to change to Forward control in the future, so he has sent me a set of pipes that only fit Forward Controls
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

they may be short baffles able to make it out the bend.....or a flexible baffle......
  14. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Well I have sent an e-mail to Samson to find out.

I also spoke to the dealer today, and he said what they do is heat the baffles and bend them to get them in. Does not sound like very good engineering practice to me. I'd rather have something that fits properly
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  15. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Well Samson say no way to fitting extra baffles, but anyway have posted the pipes back to the shop today.
    He has now mentioned the same 3" HP Plus slip ons from Krome Werks, that were mentioned earlier in this thread. but the dealer is telilng me they are about $500 ...I see them on the Krome Werks site for $300

3"HP-Plus® for 2004-10 XL
    -202300 Slash Down Cut M.S.L. $299.95
    -202400 Taper M.S.L. $299.95.

I know shipping is a bit extra...but $200 !!

Might speak to Phil at Concordia and see what price he can give me...gotta get the money back off the other dealer first though.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010