1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sausage Making

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Feb 16, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I wanted to put this in the Roadkill Cafe section but that forum wouldn't load for me so I guess it will go here.

Making homemade sausage is something that I have wanted to try for some time and now I am going to try it. Yesterday, the wife and I went and did a little bit of shopping for appliances that I don't have that aids in he production of sausage. Those items were an electric hot plate, the meat grinder attachment for our Kitchen Aid stand mixer along with the sausage stuffer horn and a 20qt. stainless steel mixing bowl.

For my first attempt, I am going to use a kit that that I can buy from my local butcher. That kit includes the casing and spices needed to make sausage.

I am thinking that I am going to attention to get my daughter's involved as well. Who knows, maybe they will really enjoy it.

I will have to say that I am excited to learn how to do this that is for sure. Oh, in case I haven't mentioned, I am going to use pork shoulder at first. :)

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
  2. JohnnyBiker

After speaking with a good friend, I have decided that it will be a good idea to add some fat back to my sausage. I will be using pork shoulder, but I want at least an 80/20 mix. Fat is flavor!!!

3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

That's true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  4. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Many years ago I went to a sausage making party (no jokes please) . The host had a special table with the grinder attached. Everyone helped make sausage, drink beer and eat. We made a lot and took some home. It was a lot of fun.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow good thing you qualified that, it could have come out all wrong,
    and being from California.... LOL
    Tomflhrci98 likes this.
  6. JohnnyBiker

That sounds like a lot of fun actually. I am just getting to that point that I would much rather make my own then buy.

Yesterday I got my meat grinder and the stuffer horn for the casings. Now all I need is a meat scale and I am ready to make sausage.

7. JohnnyBiker

Today I went out in 40° weather and tried the hot plate that I bought to smoke sausage in and I just don't think that that is going to work. Hmmmm. Maybe a coil type would work better?

I know it it is a little cool out, the hot plat generated 75° of heat on the main chamber. Maybe when the summer heat is present I can get it to the temp I am looking for. Thoughts? Ideas?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  8. JohnnyBiker

To a at Mt dad and I decided that together we were going to make some sausage. He brought an extra hot plate which I thought was needed.

Before he arrived, I cut up the pork shoulder that equaled 5.2kg. Once my dad arrivdd, I thought it to be a good idea for him to start soaking the casings as described per package. He did just that. From there we proceeded to grind the meat. Once, then once again. Once the meat was ground twice, we then decided that we should see if the two hot plates were going to generate the heat that I was shooting for along with smoke production. We determined that is would so we seasoned the meat and made very sure, in this "trial" run that we followed the directions close to exact. We mixed our spices thoroughly, let cool for about 1.5 hours.

9. JohnnyBiker

Once the mix was brought down in temperature, dad and were ready to start stuffing. To ease in sliding the casing on the stuffing tube, I decided to use grapeseed oil on the stuffer so I would not tear the casing. (Sorry, but it is hard for me to type this without LAUGHING MY FRIGGEN AS OFF!) (DOES THIS REMIND YOU OF ANYTHING?)

10. JohnnyBiker

We were able to smoke the sausage at 125°. We left the sausage on the smoke for 3 hours. Of course after we called it quits with the smoke, we just had to grill some up. MMMMM!

11. JohnnyBiker

Here is a pic of the sausage that I made over the past weekend. Hickory smoked.[​IMG]

Tomflhrci98 likes this.