1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Save on gas

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, May 13, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. CD

CD Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thanks for trying this out cd........i for one will be awating your unbiased results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
    been doing any fishing lately???? i went bass fishing a few weeks ago...had a blast!!!!!!!:)
  4. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Chuck, Red Rider posted something about an accident. Were you hurt, or was it a different Chuck he was referring to?

I'm looking forward to hearing more about extending MPG.
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Did God change the Laws of Physics when we weren't looking? The Acetone deal was tested on Sportsters & it doesn't work - doesn't hurt anything (other than wipe your paint off) & is a good fuel system cleaner, but that's about all.

Does Ethos work because people on videos say so? Interesting theory (I'm an engineer), but I reckon I should have been born in Missouri - the "Show Me State" ;-)} Let's go to the dyno, let's go to Maxton, NC & let's go to Bonneville & then we'll see.

Be great to run from New York City to San Diego & back too, but the dyno & the tracks will make what works & what doesn't show up real quick.
  6. chucktx

well i still kickin!!!!!!!! i feel bad for the "other" chuck tho...............no wrecks yet!!!!!!!!!:)
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

With gas prices going up we're going to get more spam, bogus claims and increased mileage devices than they had in the Carter Days of rationing!
  8. SK

SK New Member

About the only thing I know to help mileage is keeping your tires inflated properly and slow down (hard to do, though I'm doing it in my Dodge PU and am getting 10-15% better mileage doing 60-65 mph versus 70-75 mph on the freeway). I'm not in a hurry around this damn town anyway as I'm look out for the idiots on the road.
  9. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

" I'm not in a hurry around this damn town anyway as I'm look out for the idiots on the road."

Ditto bro!
  10. CD

CD Guest

Well, that explains it! Nothing helps a Sportster.....:roflmao: :roflmao:
    Just funnin...;)
  11. hotroadking

If these things worked the big boys would have them, one of them would buy it up patent it and either sell it to the others or keep it to themselves, the auto manuf need anything they can get to improve mileage.

Nobody is hiding anything, of course rumors abound about the guy with the 100 mpg carb being bought out by: (Pick one) Arabs, GM, Ford, Mafia, who knows.

Slow down
    clean and wax the vehicle
    clean air filter
    tune it up
    good tires with proper air inflation

Thats the ticket.
  12. chucktx

dam hrk, ya mean i have to wash my bike???????????:)
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

LMAO chuck I just washed my bike last week I think , but it was a few months before that , My daughter & her husband gave me some cleaneing stuff from A detailer shop for christmas & I just got around to trying it , works real good
  14. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Oh I love it when BT guys tease us Sportster guys.

Have a look @ the photos I posted in the Gallery. The street bikes will dust a BT, #506 has already run 167 mph in a different configuration & #4007 ran 180.025 the way you see it. And 14 mph faster than Carl's Speed Shop's 119" Softail on the same track on the same day.

We're not done yet - I just haven't found that tree $$$ grows on :banghead:
  15. CD

CD Guest

Pssssttt, Art I was just pulling your leg...
  16. hotroadking

I dunno why all these sporty guys are so sensitive about their bikes cd do you LOL:roflmao:
  17. CD

CD Guest

Some day I am going to create a PITA scale of where each type of rider ranks by type / style of bike they rode. In over twelve years I learned a thing or two about how different riders rank as a group.
  18. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Since your talking mileage, what are your rides getting? I have checked my Softail out on several 200+ mile trips and got 50-55 mpg... and I don't know why. Most numbers I hear are 35-40 mpg.
  19. chucktx

a lean condition will get you better gas mileage..............:)
  20. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

And to lean will get you a wrecker :eek: so becareful , Mt 03 E glide run's about 40-45 depends on how the wrist turns , I try to run around 75-80 on the road