1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Schwarzwald Tour

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by AFNurse, Jul 3, 2004.

1. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I am hoping to do a Black Forest (Southwest Germany) ride with a couple of friends weekend of 24/25 July. Should be lots of fun. I have heard that the Black Forest has LOTS of neat things to see and some GREAT roads to ride. I was there last week for fishing, and the roads I saw looked cool. :D Don't think I will buy a clock on this trip!
  2. AFNurse

Well, looks like weather pending, the Black Forest Ride is ON!!! Should be a good time. Looks like no cookoo clock buying, but my shopping list does include some cherry wine and cherry schnapps.....if I can find it will also get some Black Forest Cured Ham (supposed to be about the best in Germany!). :D
  3. AFNurse

:D Went on the ride...only one day not an overniter. 245 miles for the day wasn't too bad! Fog was soooo thick in the Black Forest that you DROVE around curves, didn't ride them. Roads were wet, and it was a bit cool (50's-low 60's). Didn't spend so much time there. Ended up riding from there into France then the German Wine Road before heading home. Have now decided that I HAVE to get higway pegs for the bike. Enjoyed the whole thing!! ;)
  4. SK

SK New Member

Fog? Cool temps? Sounds good to me..it's been upwards of 110ยบ :eek: here in Las Vegas. I'm jeolous!
  5. Goose

Goose New Member

Yeah, but I wouldn't wanna be over there in winter. :D Went to Denton racing this weekend (north of Dallas) and it was hotter'n hell until an actual cool front, a friggin' mid July cool front, blew in! Whew, whadda difference! Got down in the low 60s Saturday night. The leathers actually felt good Sunday morning! WOW, what are the chances, eh? :rolleyes: Next, I expect hell to freeze over. :D

I like having highway pegs to kick back and stretch out on on a long ride. Got 'em on the wing, of course, but no way to put 'em on the SV. I do NOT like forward controls. I like to move around in the saddle in the twisties, slide to the inside and hang a knee out to get the weight low. And, I am just more comfy normally with my feet on normal pegs with the controls right there. I cannot STAND floorboards either, though I understand how they'd be comfy out on the interstate.

I think my next bike after the SV, if I don't want an all out sport bike or full dress tourer, will have a downtube double cradle type frame, a standard style bike. I was very impressed with a ZRX1200 I rode recently, I like that bike! I like the 1200 sportsters, the FZ1. Easy to install the highway pegs on and, yet, good handling bikes with good motors. The big ZReX was much quicker steering than I'd expected and, WOW, that motor! Now, the one I rode had a Muzzy exhaust and I don't know what it might not have had some work, but I rode it not long after riding a ZX11 and the ZReX was more entertaining. The thing would power wheelie without ANY effort. Stock at the rear wheel, I think they're around 120 horsepower. But, I don't even have a dang job and I'm talking next bike? :rolleyes:

I've read all the articles the Edelwise tours of Germany/Austria, etc. Man, I'd love to do one of those, if I were wealthy anyway. For now, it'll have to remain a dream for me. Nice to read about it, though.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  6. AFNurse

Winter isn't so bad......I'll probably ride until nov/dec then park the bike until mid march or so...... Course, will totally depend on the weather!! I will probably try to repete the Black Forest Tour in August....The German guy that took me was VERY upset that the weather wasn't better and was thinking that it spoiled the whole ride for me.....I told him that "until one of us was God, that weather could NOT be controlled, ride was good, weather left something to be desired!" He settled down a bit :) Keep dreaming on riding Germany....who knows, maybe someday you can do it also! The roads are great for riding and there are a boatload of riders. Looks like I may end up at San Antonio next summer/fall, so then I will get to deal with the
    "heat".....Should get more ride time tho!! :D