1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

SE Active Exh

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by TM103, Jun 29, 2008.

1. TM103

TM103 Active Member

I have an 06 Ultra w/ SE Active Exh and the servo motor has quite working. I have checked the wiring harness and servo cable. Nothing seemed out of place. Anyone have some idea?:banghead:
  2. TM103

TM103 Active Member

I was hoping someone had some idea where else I might check for the problem:confused:
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sorry tm.....i havent laid eyes on one yet..........im sure someone will be along that has..........:)
  4. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Thx Chuck!
  5. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

i would try wiring it streight from a battery to see if it's the motor or the wiring feeding it. see if the motor went bad or the wiring. would be a good idea to incorporate a 15amp fuse when you go fromthe battery :devil:
  6. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Thanks Skull. I'll give that a try. I don't have a wire schematic for it, but will figure it out.:cussing:
  7. chucktx

you may have seen this before, but a factory service manual IS the most important tool in the box, and will pay for itself the first time you need it......................like now!!!!.............:)
  8. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Chuck, I have a shop manual. that was the first accessory that I bought. It doesn't list anything on the SE Active Exhaust.
  9. chucktx

ok, i stand corrected.....the manual will have nothing on screamin eagle.....sorry bout that............................
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Have to agree, one of the wires going to the servo is power, one is a ground

Take a meter, disconnect the harness at the pipe, turn on power, put the meter on the power wire and to a good ground, have someone press the button to change the pipes, see if you get power.

If you have power that would confirm the switch is working, if no power you need to follow the wires back to the next connection, fuse etc to see why you don't have power, could be a bad switch, fuse, connection etc.

If you have power, then the problem is probably in the pipes servo motor

At that point you should make up a wire to run from the pos on the battery with a 15 or 20 amp inline fuse so you don't blow things up electronically.

Run that wire to the servo motor connection wire on the positive side, you may have to ground out the motor, depends on the wires in the harness, if you have two wires one is usually a ground.

If you have one wire then the motor is ground to the bike through the pipes, my guess is you have two wires.

If the motor runs and moves things you might have a bad ground in the wire harness, bad relay, etc.

If it doesn run then you've probably got a toasted servo motor. depends on what's in that area.

Basically check each circut connection from the switch to the pipe.
  11. chucktx

hrk..........what the heck does this "active" exhaust servo do???? is it like the ol' remote control cutouts of the 50's/60's???????
    sounds like ya could have a tunable exhaust while riding.......loud on the hiway, quiet in town!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  12. TM103

TM103 Active Member

The SE Active works this way: when cruising 1/3 throttle, the butterfly in the left bank is open, when you twist the grip, the ECM gives the servo a message to close, causing a 2 into 1 pipe situation. You have the best of both worlds when it works properly. A 2 into 2 pipe or a 2 into 1 pipe. I hope I have explained this OK. Thanks for all your advice. I will look into all.
  13. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

had no idea anything so complexed existed. does it come stock? or after market
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  14. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Its after-market by HD
  15. chucktx

the first i have heard of it also.........more parts to break, more stuff for the dealer to install......................oh well.........technoligy marches on!!!!:)
  16. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

old mother harley seems to be one step ahead, only way to win is to do our own work and learn, but it's a long and bumpy road, that only a true biker can endure:devil:
  17. TM103

TM103 Active Member

AMEN brother!!:D