1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

SE Ignition

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 26, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I was at the HD dealer today picking up a new coil for my bike, in case that was my problem I would have one on hand to eliminate down time. I have become somewhat friends with one of the parts guys and he had mentioned that he used the SE Ignition on his Sportster, plugs, wires, coil, and the stuff that goes into the timing cover. He said that he used the one that has the REV set at 6800.

I did not think that this set up was overly expensive in comparison to some that I have seen and considered, now, will upgrading this improve the performance of my bike? Will it be noticeable? Worth the money?
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Unless you have head work and aggressive cams or you're hitting the rev limiter a lot.....stick with stock...when you do hop up the engine you'll want an adjustable ignition that has 4 different advance curves...the non adjustable SE modules only raise your rev limit and I think the Sporty stock module is at 6200RPM's which is fine for most builds.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Other than the higher Rev limit, it's probably not going to do
    a lot unless you've bumped the other things that Lucifer mentioned..

If programmable then you can custom build curves and change
    things to help it run better, but if you still have stock cams heads
    and pistons then it's not the bang for the buck deal of the day..
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hrk.......how many packs does your avatar go through in a day........the little one from overseas does 2 packs a day....:roflmao:
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Several, lol, he's too young to buy here...
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yea he's cool my grandson seem him & busted out laughen :roflmao: