1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sears openend ratchet wrench

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jun 30, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

When workin on my bike or with the boss I always find times when I can't use a ratchet or box end wrench.
    All I can git in the bolt is a open end wrench
    well the boss's wife got him some Sears open end ratchet wrenchs
    I've seen them at Sear's but was in too big of a hurry to look
    Well I've used them and they are Cool as he'll

Craftsman 4 pc. Inch Open End Ratcheting Wrench Set
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

they work pretty good as long as the threads are not in bad shape......gonna get you a set?????
  3. cardboard

My birthday is next month;)
  4. chucktx

trollin??????????
  5. cardboard

I'll troll with the OL for whatever I can git
  6. chucktx

:roflmao::eek:
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Those are nice wrenches. I could have use a set of them today actually. I like the ones that have the closed end as a ratcheting better.
  8. cardboard

We git places all the time our closed end ratchet wrenchs won't go on the nut or bolt
  9. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

got them all metric. standard, long, short. and if you get them get the flexhead with the reverse thumb lever, you get the solid, flip reverse you will see why..............been there done that.
  10. JohnnyBiker

I have thought about asking for tools for christmas this year. That is, if I really want to get something. Usually I like that for the kids. Anyways, those would be really handy to have around. I want to get to the point to where I have enough tools on hand that I will be able to take my bike apart then put it back together again. I have a lot of tools now, but it is like I need a whole new set of different stuff.
  11. chucktx

these particular wrenches are not nessessary wrenches....they are more of a convience. you dont need them to get the job done, they make it easier. to make a good starter set of wrenches you need to figure out the most important ones first. you mentioned you didnt have torque wrench. this is one tool that is manditory....ft and inch both. always buy the best tool you can afford. i am sure someone will step in and say the more you pay the better. this can be true, but you dont need snapon quality in a home situation. craftsman, harbor freight are good tools for the home shop. some inexpensive test equipment like digital volt/ohm meters, test lights, are invaluable......start with the basics, then add the luxury tools........
  12. JohnnyBiker

I have a torque wrench, it is just a 1/2" drive. I do need a 3/8" drive that is for sure. I am most partial to Craftsman anyways. it what I grew up with. Since I have gone to school for machinist, I have a lot of precision tools. they are AWESOME! As far as my wrenches go, I have up 1 1/8". NIce set of metric sockets and standard.

I used to work on snowmobiles a lot and those ratcheting wrenches would have been really hand in that situation. You are right though, those tools are a luxury, not a necessity.
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

JB, I would start with craftsmen tools. Harbor tools have a tendency to break easy. I sold Mac Tools for a number of years and while I have a lot of em I do like the Mac open end box end wrench better than most out their. I have the ratcheting combo wrenches by Gear Wrench. Sold tons of them and have never personally broke one but a good combo standard wrench is best to start with.

Like Chuck said those other tools like the open end ratcheting wrenches are a specialty wrench not a everyday working wrench. You'll get more tools for the buck at sears than MAC or Snap On plus you get their lifetime warranty on their hand tools as well. Get the basics first then the specialty tools. A quality Torque Wrench as Chuck said is a must have when working on the bike. Also a quality set of screw drivers is a must as well as a quality hex and Torx driver set.
    I got 2 large rollaways and two large top boxes full of tools but it took years of collecting them to get there.
  14. JohnnyBiker

I like craftsman, because like you said, I can get more of them for the money, and I still get the lifetime warranty. I think that they snap on tools are a little oer rated in comparison to what you pay for them. I have a great set of screwdrivers. Craftsman of course. I do have a nice set of torque heads and a nice set of socket allens including a standard and metric.

I was able to tear my bike down for what I needed to when I redid it with the tools that I have. When I get to the point to where I have time to do most of the engine stuff myself, then I am sure I will need a lot more. I jsut bout a really nice snap ring pliers. For the ring that keeps my exhaust flange on. :D
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Go to a pawn store
    Always a bunch of MAC and Snap-on Stuff that has been
    pawned by some wrench that didn't make it or needed bucks.

Craftsman is good, but from my Snap-on former sales neighbor
    the way they (cheaper) wrenches are made the tongs can spread
    especially on tight nuts/bolt heads.

Craftsman will spread over time and be "more open" like a V
    over time. They are still good I have some.

Go hold a Snap-on or Mack wrench and a craftsman or
    Harbor freight and you'll feel the difference in weight, fit and finish.
  16. JohnnyBiker

You kind of lost me there? So are you saying that snap on and mac are junk? Or that craftsman are a lesser quality?
  17. chucktx

mac and snapon are high end quality wrenches. as was stated, when they get stolen or someone needs money, pawn shops will buy them and put them up for sale.....there still a bit pricy, but not like brand new. craftsman is a good quality tool, but limited in there specialty line.
  18. JohnnyBiker

Can you give an example of where I cannot get a particular specialty tool of craftsman vs. snap-on?
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Go on a Mac or Snap-on truck sometime, your eyes will bulge out with excitement with all the tools and specialty tools. The poor dealer will have to throw you off just so he can get to his next stop.
  20. cardboard

And the tool on the Snap On or Mac truck will cost a whole lot more than the craftsman tool too. Been on those trucks.
    Got a few tools from them.