1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sears Red Jack

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jan 4, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Been lookin at a Jack lately. My buddy got one from Harbor Freight. Didn't come with any straps. They got some high prices on jacks. I just want it to raise the bike up so I can spin the wheels and make it a little eaiser to change the oil. I stopped in Sears where I live and they had 1 red motorcycle jack instock, I had em to throw it in the back of the truck. I took it home. I rolled it under the EGS and it hit the frame on the low side so I stood it upright and pushed the jack the rest of the way under the bike and used the foor pump on the jack and jacked the bike up some. The jack came with straps so I strapped the bike to the jack as safety precautions so I didn't have a bear trap.
    I hear a lot of people complaining about this jack. I'm not tryin to use it for professional use but all in all the jack worked pretty good for 89.00.
    They had a Yellow professional jack I could of ordered for 169.00 that was made out of aluminum and did about the same thing.
    If I was a mechainc and had money and room I would of bought a Handy jack
    handyindustries.com/
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

those type jacks are great for light maintance/servicing.....the aluminum jack is more expensive due to materials involved. i built one like you have and used it for quite a few years before i recievied my table lift for christmas!!!! have fun with it,,:)
  3. cardboard

What no pictures. We need to see the table lift.
    Man everybody don't have the room for a table lift. I got to see it.
  4. chucktx

5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That sears jack is a big seller and a good jack, be sure you lock it down when you leave the bike on it don't let it rest on the bottle jack (for any jack like this)

Much safer that way, you won't come out and find you bike on the floor in the morning. I've had a sams special (same style) but a pos rickety thing.

The only issue I've had is the rubber bits that the frame sets on came loose over time, and they couldn't supply a replacement part so I glued and bolted mine to the jack been fine ever since.
  6. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

I bought the Harbor Freight motorcyclejack when I got my 77. Been good to me far as changing oil, checking chain tension and such.I do have to lift up to get under the scoot. No straps with it but I have my own tiedowns and they work okay. Getting ready to give up on the weather here in Kaintuck so the winter project starts. I am removing the swingarm as my rear fender and struts are welded to it for paint, easier to remove the swingarm than cutting the struts and fender away. I am painting the tanks and fender, removing the dash panel and hiding the ignition sw/, putting LED turn signals coming outta the grips, and a mini speedo on top of the bars.Any suggestions on blocking up the frame on the count of paint is being done by me and my future son-in-law and we both work so it will take some time. Am also gonna rewire the handlebar sw/ as they are worn out.
    P.S. Hope this isn't considered hijackin a thread. Will post pics before during and after.:D
  7. chucktx

hey sarge.....pics would be great!!!! start your own thread about your project....that way it wont get lost in the masses!!!!!!:)
  8. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

9. harleydave51

harleydave51 New Member

I had the same problem as hotroadking. I also had to stand the bike upright as I worked the jack under it.
  10. chucktx

if ya roll the bike up on a couple of 1" pieces of 1x6 it will be off the floor enough to get the jack under the bike, and still sit on the jiffy stand....:)
  11. rickster

rickster New Member

I bought the Sears alum. yellow jack a few months back. Have only used it for a few cleanings on my '06 ultra so far & then used it to push the bike closer to the wall for storage. seems pretty solid, I like it so far. If interested I payed $149 for it on sale.
  12. cardboard

The yellow jack it a better jack, Think its a professional model.
    They didn't have one out in the country where I live. I was kinda cheap about paying any more money for a jack too no more than I use the jack. I like the straps that come with the red jack too, I bet they sent some straps with the yellow jack. The jack at Harbor freight my buddy got had no straps. He was saying by the time he paid for some straps he could of gotten the red sears jack.
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Chuck yep I roll just the rear wheel up on 2x6 that I have cut down to about 3 feet long give or take an inch or so.

I used to do both, then tried the rear and it lets the jack under when I straighten up the bike. Much easier than the 2x4 I used for a while, too lazy to get a 2x6 to put under the tire for a while, finally figured it was going to be easier so I sprung the bucks for a 2x6 LOL

Buddy bought one of the pit bull jacks at Daytona they are expensive at $300 but they have a much wider wheelbase, better wheels, this thing will roll off with a touch of a finger, lifts it up to 36 inches at the bottom. What is cool is it's very low, you roll it under the bike and jack the bike up off the sidestand, no need to straighten up the bike, it does it for you, when you let it down as long as you kept the sidestand out, it sets the bike down then lets it roll over on the stand.

Pretty good unit.
  14. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I bought a 59 dollar Harbor Freight atv/motorcycle jack. Yeah I may have to upright the bike to get it underneath it, but that enables me to center the jack perfectly under the bike. I don't think I'd want to wheel it under and jack it up without making sure its centered properly. There is always the possiblity of it being off center and..... Well 'nough said...:)
  15. cardboard

But did it come with any straps, My buddy got the Harbor freight jack and said by the time he got some good straps he might as well got the jack from Sears. :cussing:
  16. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Been there done that, but only once.
  17. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

My wife bought me the straps for it for xmas... before the straps I'd jack it till the wheels were off the ground. Now I can get it just about waist level. Makes doing primary adj's and clutches a hell of a lot easier!!!:)
  18. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

you can get straps for 5-10 bucks a set I wouldn't let that be your deciding factor
  19. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

I got the Sears yellow jack and it works great!!!Nothing needed to get under my bike...I had a roadking custom when i bought the jack and now 08 streetglide.It works great and never need the straps that came with it .It stays up on it very solid.
  20. 02dyna

02dyna New Member

I have had the sears red jack for about 3 years. I don't recall what I paid for it but I've never had a problem with it. If it won't clear under your bike just use a board (2x6, 2x8 or what ever you have) under the front tire. Like chuck said leave on side stand put the jack where you want it to make contact with the frame and jack it up. I've used this method when I had my lowrider and use it now with my roadking.