1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Service Writer

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Mar 10, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Interesting topic here: A single female friend of ours wants to put her SE air cleaner and her slip on Bassani mufflers on her bike. She has limited money do to a recent divorce so she does not want to spend a fortune. I told here just simply go and get a stage one download and I would install the air cleaner plus pipes for her at no charge. She called the dealer to set up the appointment and one of the service writers told her that she absolutely had to have a Race Tuner and a Dyno run done and it would cost her $900.
    What Bull, I went into the same dealer today and talked to the service manager and explained to him the situation and he told me that yes a simple stage one download will work. No it might not be perfect but will work. He looked on there maps list and they even already have a download with that same setup.
    I cannot believe the way some of the dealers try to manipulate some customers who don't know enough to question what there saying. :gah:

On the other hand my wife and I are watching the reruns of Boston Legal on ION as I type this and a segment in the show got us both laughing so hard I almost dropped my computer. :D
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'm no bike technician but I don't think her bike needs to go up on a dyno nor does it need a race tuner. My bike has the 95 inch kit, SE air cleaner and stock mufflers still [five years..a few of my friends have lost money over this one] I have the stage 1 download on it the bike runs well, fires up right away. My setup probably isn't perfect either but you've seen it in action, hers will too.
    I also have to be thankful for the shop that I deal with as I don't get any of that crap thrown at me.
  3. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Same here....Both My 05 Ultra and My wifes 06 Ultra with stage 1 breather and Vance & Hines and maped at the dealer (which always treats us great) runs fine. I am sure I could get them better with the race tuner and dyno, but, that would cut into my travel money. Mayors in a small town only make around $3.00 pre hour!!
  4. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Doesn't surprise me. I don't think I've ever had anyone try to out and out screw me because I'm a woman, but 9 times out of 10, I get treated as though I don't have a clue what I want or what I'm talking about. Seeing as how the service writer typically is a kid without much technical training, I usually know more than he does. I've gotten to the point where I'll refuse to speak with someone who pulls that crap on me. Fortunately it's getting less and less common as more women are riding.

When I worked at the dealership, we would have suggested a dyno run, but we wouldn't have said you have to do it. It was $140 for the download as it was, which is crazy. That's when the ex got a Power Commander from Parts Direct and I did the download from my laptop. A little more money up front, but the rider has more control in the long run.
  5. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Do Service Writers make commission on the amount of sales they bring in or are they just under pressure from the owners to make more money?
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Both, and the more volume each puts in the system the better his/he job security is.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

and one other thing bout them service writers.........they were probably flippin burgers last week..............
  8. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Plus the fact that it was a woman doing the asking. Most bike and car dealers think women are stupid and try to sell them a bill of goods everytime they walk thru the door; just for that reason I always let my wife take the car in for service. When they try it on her she lites em up. And I stand back and laugh my ass off. It's true a lot of gals don't know a spark plug from a wheel but The ones that do can have a ball with some stupid service writer if their in the know.