1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Share the Road

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Aug 7, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Anybody riding in the State of Texas has seen the signs that the State of Texas has spent millions of dollars on.
    Share the Road with Motorcycles..................

Cagers don't care to share the road, yer in their way, they pull out in front of you all the time, they cut you off. The git on yer A*S and ride it cause yer doing the speed limit.
    You hear about a motorcycle on the interstate that somebody has run over all the time and a biker killed.

You can't tell me all this is the motorcycle riders fault.
    Folks will not give the motorcycle riders any space.

And motorcycles save fuel and put less wear on the roads.

Its sad to say. Butt....

Until the Great State of Texas passes a law making it a crime for a wreck with a motorcycle we are never going to be given any room .
  2. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Not just in Texas, but all over. On my recent trip to Atlanta and back I was cut off 4 times. People just don't care, they don't know how to merge, they rush to get one car length ahead for no reason, when they get behind the wheel they act like idiots.

Unfortunately the police don't help, as if they cannot see it on radar, or get numbers for a breathalyzer, they don't enforce the laws.

Cell phones do not help either!
  3. steveb

steveb Active Member

I had some young girl almost take me out at a stop sign when she cut the corner to sharp while she was applying make-up to her face.
  4. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

Yep. Riding in to work one morning on the freeway. The car next to me had a license plate that said OMG IDK and the woman was talking on her cell phone AND looking at herself in the rear-view mirror. I stayed as far away from that car as possible.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

When I was in grade school my dad road a Vespa to work. He had a sawed off baseball bat in a rifle scabbard strapped to the bike and would smack car fenders when they tried getting to close. We all though he was crazy..:D but now I know why.
    As Panthera said its all over not just Texas. Its a movement that has swept this country because basically people have no respect for one another.
    Cops are to busy now days to be everywhere. If it wasn't for the fact that they would have to face the consequences I really believe that they would just simply run us off the road.
  6. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I have considered carrying a basket of rocks to throw at cars driven by idiots.
  7. FLHTbiker

I've heard of a guy who carries BB's but I could never firgure out how to get to em and fumble with them when your riding and wearing gloves.
  8. Panthera

Panthera New Member

When I was working in the Netherlands, driving around, I was warned that the one violation you never want to do is to hit a bicyclist. They have equal rights to the road over there, and bicycling in Netherlands is very safe. Perhaps similar laws are needed to protect bikers, bicyclist, and pedestrians here. Hit one, go directly to jail, do not pass go, etc. etc.

I always thought to make the highways safer they need to require all drivers to ride a motorcycle for the first year before they can get in a car. Maybe then they would appreciate the dangers, or get themselves killed off and cleanse the gene pool of a bit of stupidity.
  9. FLHTbiker

They need to require a license plate for all bicycles while riding on the road. Use that money to make bicycle lanes. We get hordes of bicyclist on the roads here and you never know when one is going to swing out in front of you. At least on my Harley they hear me coming.
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a sack of large, glass marbles work well. leave no fingerprints, break up on impact and will do good damage to windshields, radiators and paint/body........easly handled even with gloves on..............or so i am told.....:)
  11. steveb

steveb Active Member

I have thought about a paint ball gun but my luck I would get in trouble for making terroristic threats for using it.
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have wondered how fast the paint ball need to be traveling to burst on impact......that would make a bit of a mess also!!!!!! LOL LOL
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

The BB's you leave in the tube & just pull the cap off ,with your teeth drop just a few & replace cap , like chucks marbles they will leave dent's crack the windshield & brake out headlights & go into the rad & cause a lot of leaks & mess up the paint as well :eek:, so I'am told :D
  14. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

When I worked at a Indy Shop 2 yrs ago, a customer come in with a Electra Glide with one if these air horns on his bike.

It was the baddest air horn I've ever heard.
    This air horn makes the loudest noise you've ever heard.

BJ's is suppose to be at the Lonestar Rally in Galveston this year. I'm considering seriously gittin one on my bike.

BJ Specialties motorcycle air horns and motorcycle accessories

[​IMG]
  15. steveb

steveb Active Member

The thing that is the most annoying is the people that see you and pull out anyway cause they think motorcycles have miracle brakes that will stop on a dime. They would never pull out in front of a semi like they do in front of a motorcycle.
  16. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Hey Chuck I have a paintball gun....these try it!! lol
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I've heard that same thing, also was told small rocks work very well.
  18. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

This may sound like I'm a nut, but I've always carried a few 1" rocks in my left pocket when riding. I watch my mirrors a lot for anyone coming up behind me too close or quickly. Car drivers don't care one bit about bikes on the road, and probably get a kick out of shaking you up.

Read my comment in the thread "Remember this bike", but be prepared to get away quickly when you do this: downshift into 4th gear, then toss the rocks over your shoulder. It works--believe me.
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JMO I don't play chicken with 4000 pound cars
    with idiot drivers.

You might be right, and you might get away with
    some things, but in the end, an 800 pound bike
    is ALWAYS going to loose a contest
    with a 4000 pound car, we've already
    established the car driver is an idiot

no reason to tempt them..

I just get over and out of the way
    or accelerate and leave them...