1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shelby wants to make the camaro ZL1 cry

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Nov 15, 2011.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Chevy Camaro ZL1 was supposed to be sitting atop the Muscle Car War heap? Yeah, not so much anymore. Meet the 650 HP 2013 Shelby GT500 — it's gonna try to make the ZL1 its little bitch.

Yes, you're reading that correctly — the new Shelby GT500's 5.8-liter supercharged V8 engine is rated at an astonishing 650 HP and 600 lb-ft of torque. That's a whopping 100 HP and 90 torques more than the 2012 model year.

It's almost as if Ford's adding the power just so it can shove its snakeskin-boot-clad foot right up the NACA ducts of its bowtie-bedecked competitor.

That's right, in fact, I'm wondering why they're even bothering to call it a GT500 anymore. Shouldn't they be calling it the GT 650 or something more appropriate for a muscle car with a 200 MPH top speed?

Whatever.

Anyway, this might just seem like Ford's plopping a bigger engine under the hood, right? Of course not. I mean, what would make you think that?

Well, other than their own press release saying "It might just seem like we're putting a bigger engine into the car." But come on, that would just be ludicrous to assume it's nothing more than the life-size equivalent of an Estes model rocket or a Mustang with a Wily E. Coyote-style rocket strapped to it.

Because Ford's added all sorts of other stuff to help manage all that power and torque — you know, like 19-inch front and 20-inch rear wheels coupled with Goodyear Eagle® F1 SuperCar G: 2 tires on all vehicle configurations and a Torsen limited-slip differential.

Well, Ford'll add that Torsen limited-slip diff if you order the optional Performance Package.

Oh, you didn't order the optional Performance Package? Then yeah, it's pretty much just a giant honkin' engine strapped onto a 3,850 lb. muscle car. But don't worry — it'll go purdy damn fast in a straight line.

Also, did we mention Ford's press photos have a blonde behind the wheel. Because, you know, this is America...truck (axle), yeah!

http://jalopnik.com/...o-zl1-its-bitch
    [/quote]
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE] that will hard to do gm ls platform motor is bad ass a NA MOTOR WITH A MINOR TUNE AND ZO6 TB WILL MAKE OVER 685 HP. MY TURBO SET UP WITH LSX BLOCK FROM GM AND MINOR HEAD WORK AT 26 LBS WILL MAKE 1300HP. THERE IS ALOT LEFT IN THE LS SERIES MOTORS . dont under estimate the power of the ls platform . they will have to work real hard to make them there bitch . look up ls turbo shoot out on dynos on you tube and tell me what you think of ls camaros
  3. cardboard

that will hard to do gm ls platform motor is bad ass a NA MOTOR WITH A MINOR TUNE AND ZO6 TB WILL MAKE OVER 685 HP. MY TURBO SET UP WITH LSX BLOCK FROM GM AND MINOR HEAD WORK AT 26 LBS WILL MAKE 1300HP. THERE IS ALOT LEFT IN THE LS SERIES MOTORS . dont under estimate the power of the ls platform . they will have to work real hard to make them there bitch . look up ls turbo shoot out on dynos on you tube and tell me what you think of ls camaros[/QUOTE]

I grew up a die hard chevy man
    after owning a business for 19 yrs and a adverging 3000 miles a month, I got a ford, haven't owned a chevy since

Didn't chevy git bailout money ?
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep, no Government Motor Cars for me.
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

After looking at the pictures I think the hood looks a little too . . . well, humpy. I think it would look better with a more streamlined hood and an old school style scoop.
  6. cardboard

I like the whole car...............
  7. cardboard

8. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

i agree with the fact that they took the obama steak plan as well . and there is nnot a gm in my drive way . and if its not a 1985 and down there will never be one ! as a matter a fact i drive an old dodge before the bail out. im just saying that they have alot of work to do , to run with the ls style motor the whole engine and trany platform is bad ass . the stosk block has six bolt mains 4 for just clamping and two for main support on side of block very strong short block, and head ports are bad to the bone . hell the 4.8 lit motor they have gotten them to withstand 1250 hp on boost out of a junk yard motor and never touched the inside of the motor just reseal and go . the engine itself was created well before the obama bail out . but will i buy a new car from gm hell no ! and if it was not for Henry Ford , we would have no hot rods to work on at all . and if ford would have taken a bail out the auto industry period would have gone to **** for sure . im sure they could have use the money as well . but they had enough respect for the name ford that put the auto industry on the map from the get go . M y hat off to the ford company for that , Now then as far as ford goes they spend alot of time in germany and france and mexico. getting engine tranys built to install in our american cars and trucks . since the early 1984 ! first motor and trany ford mini explorer 1985 2.9 liter and aod trany! so there ya go they are all at fault , i say keep all the work here in the us!!! but we know how that goes.
  9. joshbob

I think my '84 Ford F 150 is mostly American produced. The motor I have in it now is a Jasper 5 liter rebuilt in USA. I used to have a '50 GMC 3/4 ton pickup - sorry I ever traded it. I bet it's still running somewhere . . .
    These new muscle cars are okay, I guess, but who needs to go 200 MPH? Unless yer on the Autoban.
  10. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

The Autobaun is not what it used to be either. Lots of traffic AND more miles with speed limits.
  11. cardboard

Yer motorcycle will do over 100 mph.
    How often do you need to do 100 mph.
  12. joshbob

Only after you've robbed a bank?