1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shifter seal

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jp13, Apr 7, 2010.

1. jp13

jp13 New Member

Seems now that my shifter seal is beginning to leak. What kind of job would that entail? How much would a deaker charge for it if anyone has had it done?I don't mind doing it myself but don't want to get into something above my head. Thanks
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It requires the complete removal of the primary, internals including the rear cover,

You'll need the proper sockets to get the large compensating nut off, a locker tool for
    the primary chain, once it's off you can remove the seal and replace around the shifter lever..

Several hours work and you'll need a lift, as well as the service manual..
  3. jp13

jp13 New Member

Called dealer quoted $100 seal and labor. Looks like I will let them deal with it.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would that's not to expensive, about hours labor and parts..
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

while they are in that far....have them replace the seals in the inner primary also.....just the cost of the seals, then ya dont have to worry about them leaking on down the road..
  6. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

very true