1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shifting hard into first

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by slyman777, Dec 5, 2009.

1. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

please advise me...i am a wanna be do it yourselfer, but don't want to make anything worse. I have an 03 FLSTFi and it seems to shift ridiculously hard...especially into 1st. I have tried to adjust the cable but it doesnt seem to make a difference. It does seem to be a little better when its warm, but sometimes when its cool it feels like i am driving an 18 wheeler...hitting the revs
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

first ya need the factory service manual....from the dealer. your clutch is needing adjusting. follow the book, really easy to do. the clutch pack needs adjusting, then the cable....the manual will pay for itself the first time you use it, especially if your gonna start working on the bike your self. you will find that general maintenance will save you a ton of money over taking it somewhere else....and give great satisfaction!!!!!
  3. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

i had one of these "easy clutches" installed before i left for Sturgis a couple years ago. I already have the manual...I am always worried I will make things worse...I am such a *****. I am glad I found this website...seems very helpful....thanks chuck
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep just follow the book like chuck said ,& if you careful you can reuse the gasket under your derby cover & just take your time & after your done with the test ride & all is good have cold one on you:cool:
  5. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

You guys are all i need to feel confident...like mickey in rocky's corner. I will start tomorrow and see what happens...I will be back either way. My biggest battle will be the test ride the next couple of days...calling for snow and first round of real cold weather this year. I have no desire to be in the polar bear club yet this year
  6. cowboy

:roflmao: Ya that's one club I had to join many years ago ,But that was because I had to got caught in a snow storm in NM while on the road ice & snow ain't fun on two wheels , let us know how you do , we;ll let the test ride wate for a day or two :eek:
  7. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

I got caught north of Hill City in the mountains myself...we were on our way back to Sturgis from Rushmore when it started dropping big, heavy balls...crazy...we pulled over and took the photo op. I only took an hour or so to melt, but it was still cold in a cut off t shirt...it was supposed to be August
  8. chucktx

glad your gonna try it yourself.....if you run into a problem, just ask........you will get it handled!! have fun and stay safe!!
  9. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

anyone know of a decent place to sell all my old stock pieces, other than the scrapyard...I guess the real question is does anyone really have a need for any of it
  10. chucktx

we have a thread for selling stuff....pics and prices.....ya never can tell!!!!!!
  11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Listing them with price & picture in the for sale part of this forum is a good place to start. You never know one mans junk is another’s treasure. I know I have whole garage full of treasure…:roflmao:
  12. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

The 03 Fatboy may become some what of a classic it might help your future sale if you have all original parts JMO!
  13. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

I guess I have been discouraged lateley....during these tough times, i wonder if there will ever be classics anymore...nothing new built seems worth saving...that being said, I vowed when I bought this beast that I would never, ever sell it...after all, it was the hundredth anniversary model, and my first harley. I have since lost my job and still owe on it, and at times selling seems like the only way to balance things out, but so far the bills are paid and I can't seem to part with it. IT IS MY ESCAPE...I NEED IT...but if anyone is interested, the upgrades have all been HD...all HD product upgrades except the pipes...they are Vance and Hines short shots...I will listen to reasonable offers...but don't waste my time...I can still afford to be proud
  14. cowboy

slyman other then your house & your family if you have one try by all meens to keep your ride it's not just a man toy , It a stress relever , & beside theres not much of a market for bikes right now , not sure where your at , but look on creaglist in you area & look under motorcycles & type in Harley & just look & see by dates just how many people are trying to let there rides go :banghead:some are new & some a few years older keep your sanity good luck :cool:
  15. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

amen cowboy...got a 2 1/2 year old boy and a fiance. It is definitely a stress reliever. The boy loves to ride around town (not sure if the cops would appreciate it). He gets super pis sed when he hears it start up and can't go...kinda cool. I promised it to hime when he was born...it was the only way i could justify it then as I got it 2 weeks before I found out he was on the way...
    oh yeah, you are definitely right...its a buyers market for sure. Wish I was in a better spot, I might have a couple more dust collectors...kinda fallin for the FLHX and would love to piece together one of my own
  16. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

oh yeah, and it looks like I won't get the clutch till mid week...I will for sure let you guys know
  17. Quiet Storm

Quiet Storm New Member

My 01 Heritage was shifting hard. Had to damn near kick it like a mule to get it into first gear sometimes. Someone on here suggested that I change the transmission oil and use Red Line transmission oil. I did and it made a big difference. Shifts great now and is a lot quieter.
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

couple of things.

1) Look in the inspection plate, feel the primary chain tension by pushing up on the
    chain, I think 1/2 to 5/8 is the amount of movement. IE make sure it's not super tight
    or loose.

2)Clutch Adjust Procedure

Remove derby cover
    loosen jam nut in center of clutch pack.
    back out allen adjuster to loosen cable
    compress (shorten) the cable adjuster by the front frame a few turns

Now pull in clutch lever to grip.
    be sure adj nut is out at end of the allen for max adjusability
    slowly turn in allen adj screw in clutch pack
    watch handle move out,
    adjust until everything is firm, then back off 1/2 turn.
    lock down adjustment nut while holding allen so it doesn't turn.

Pull cable away from housing at clutch lever
    you should have nickle or dimes width room between
    cable and housing.

Fine tune with frame side adjuster, lock it down
    put cover on.
  19. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

thanks alot guys...does everyone reccommend redline over lucas products
  20. chucktx

no.......it is going to be a matter of personal preference....after ya try em all.......