1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Should I, or shouldn't I

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Red Rider, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Since I am laid up and worthless, I had Ol' Red dropped off at a Reno shop to get some new pipes (V-H Pro 2-1), a dyno run/rejet and gear drive for the cam, replacing the auto-tensioned chain (which I understand is better than the untensioned, but still a risk not worth taking if I make a run to AK).

So the question is: should I get a slightly hotter cam? I run the stock 88 and though I've toyed with more displacement I like the reliability and mileage of the current setup. I used to blast down highways at 140mph on other bikes, but that was then and now I enjoy the cruising more than the ridiculous speeds...rarely break 100 anymore. If I could improve highway performance without significant loss of MPG, that would be great. Can I?

What especially do you fellow bagger riders think?
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

good bye mpg

the more power at the throttle, the more and harder you'll twist it. bet, your mpg will drop:cool:
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Red, there's really no need to ask that question....my answer is yes, of course you should. :D That cam would sure make it sound sweet! But, if you're worried about mpg, then don't. I know, I'm no help at all.:rolleyes:
  4. Red Rider

I was thinking of a Crane 310.....and probably will go for it (if I REALLY wanted MPG, I'd ride a 250cc!). I just don't want a drastic MPG dropoff out here in the loneliest part of the West, as it is often over 100 miles between gas stations on some of the roads I ride, and sometimes a whole lot more.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

when ya do the math....5gal should get you 200 miles at 40 miles to the gallon.....when ya on a longer trip between gas.....keep it at about 2800 rpm.....should get ya there...even with the mods ya want to do....175mi at 35 mpg...just a thought...........
  6. Red Rider

As to the math: problem is you don't get that kind of mileage at 4000 to 11000 feet in altitude, especially when it is hot (hotter air/higher altitude/less density/less oxygen = needs more gas). And because of the changes, you can't be certain what you'll be getting for mileage on any given day, just guestimates.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

one other option, a 1 gal. can of gas in the bag...lol.......:) ;)
  8. Red Rider

I did - but then

Yeah, I have done that extra gallon thing on my Colorado runs. Does give ya peace of mind and allowed me to do some spontaneous sightseeing that the reserve tank wouldn't cover, but it ain't the best way. Stinks out everything in the hardbag for about a month, and also made everyone I ran in to feel compelled to tell me that I had a gas leak.

But back to the original - I am going with the hotest cam lift that I can run in my mild configuration. I've turned down the 95" kit - for now. Should I or......so how much do you guys with 95ci who had the bike as an 88 first like the difference?
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would opt for andrews tw37B series cams, they run well in a 88, a bit more duration but when you go to 95 inch these are great cams for a 100/100 build

if you are going to stay 88 then andrews tw26 cams are the better choice, both will work in 95's but the 37's will pull stronger.

On an 88 you'll notice they pull very well over 2500 RPM.

The big bore will give you more bottom end and total capacity, FWIW get a set of takeoff cyl and send them to be bored and the pistons fit, don't buy the new in the box HD 95 inch cyl, too much money, or have the dealer pull yours and send them out to be bored out and fit to a set of 95 inch pistons.

Keep Compression under 10 to 1 and you should have a good running street bike that when properly tuned will pull 40 MPG easy, in fact if tuned well it could get better mileage.