1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shovelhead Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by pappycool, Jun 10, 2008.

1. pappycool

pappycool New Member

I have a 75 / 2007 custom shovelhead just built with about 3500 miles on it. While riding home the other day on the hwy about 55 or 60 mph, it just quit. It was like I turned the ignition switch off. It still has power, gas, and plugs are good. When trying to start it, it just turns over and over and then POW, a loud backfire. Thats all it will do. Anybody know what it might be? Coil, electronic ignition, jumped timing?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i think it is an ignition prob. i am assuming you have electronic, not points. when you are spinning it over, what color is the spark?? if there is no spark check the ign wire to the coil for fire. if none there check back to the switch. it sounds like a simple electrical problem........let us know!!!!:)
  3. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

plug wires, coil
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

It seems to me like it jumped its timing, brought a flashback of some of the old rattletraps i used to drive.:witsend: If you have electronic ignition check to see if the plate came loose and moved, or if one with mechanical advance the spring and weight may have let go and broke a wire.
  5. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Thanks man. I do have a Crane HI-4 electronic ignition and already checked the plate and wires. All appears to be good. I think I am down to a coil or the ignition module. If anything else comes to mind, let me know.
  6. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Yeh, checked the wires but don't have a way to check the coil. Getting a very spuratic spark in the plugs. Only sparks every now and then when turning it over. I am thinking the coil. Thanks
  7. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Yea, I agree. I do have electronic ignition. When turning it over, the plugs spark every now and then, not constantly every time like it should. Still have to check the wire to the coil, but I don't have a meter to see if there is spark from the electronic ignition module to the coil. With running out of options, I think I am down to the coil or the ignition module. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  8. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

You mentioned you have a Crane HI-4 & I've got one in one application - never had a problem with it. You'll want to buy a good test meter & you'll find a lot more uses for it than just this situation. I have a Triplett Model 9310 & the 9320 has even more features, but there are other good ones on the market too, like Fluke (funny name for a good meter). It may be as simple as a bad connection & even if you've checked 'em all before, do it again. But one thing the meter will really help you with is checking the wires - they can break inside the insulation & you won't see it - spark plug wires are especially bad about that.
  9. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Thanks, I will check that out. Will that meter check the continuity in the plug wires also?
  10. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Yes. And what you want to do is hook it up so you can wiggle the wires & see if there's any change in continuity.
  11. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Got it! Thanks
  12. viking

viking New Member

I had a buddy who kept burnning coils until we figured out we had the wrong omhs coil for the ignition system we had.

Viking
  13. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Thanks man. Already checked the coil and it is a 3 ohm as recommended by Crane for the HI 4 Ignition. Still don't know what it is, either the coil or the ignition. Changed wires and that did not fix it. Have 12 volts from the ignition to the coil, but don't know if it still could be the ignition anyway. Ya know of any way to check the ignition or the coil?
  14. whacker

whacker Active Member

There is a ohm's test for the coil,there is primary resistance and secondary resistance,I have the crane HI 4 single fire ignition on my bike,I could pull my coil off and take the reading and let you know what they are ,if that would be any help to you...Good luck....
  15. viking

viking New Member

do you know anyone with a coil the same that would let you give theirs a try just to see if that is your problem.It may be your module I had one go bad on my 82 sturgis.It back fired and would not take its gas.Also check your ignition switch and the wires going to it to make sure they are tight.
  16. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Yea, had already checked the switch, nothing there, I'll have to see if anyone has a coil to try. Thanks
  17. Lucifer

To check your coil, read the resistance on the primary circuit and secondary circuit(where plug wires go) the primary should read 2.5-3.1 ohms and the secondary should be 11,350-13,750 ohms. Fluke are the best, I've got an idiot proof one:rolleyes: , put it on the battery,reads voltage. On the coil it reads resistance.No settings just use it.:devil:
  18. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Thanks, but I need a little help. I have a Fluke meter borrowed from a friend. Can you walk me through this? I don't know electrics. I have checked the battery with the DC setting and am getting 12v. To check the coil, on the ohm setting, where do I put the ground and where do I put the hot lead from the meter to get the readings you mentioned? I think I need to check the top of the coil where the plug wire goes in and then the bottom where the plug goes in, but again, which wires on the meter go where? I assume I have to turn the switch on. If you can get back to me that would be great. Thanks
  19. Lucifer

Sure thing, On the primary circuit put the setting at Rx1 and put the leads on the studs for the ignition. On the secondary set the meter to Rx1K and put the leads in where the plugwires go. This is how you do it for the dual fire setup which I think you have it at on the Crane ign. Your coil only has 2 studs for Ignition leads,right? . If you find the coil is toast, I'd change it over to single fire. It's a Crane Hi4, correct? They have a switch for single fire and duel fire. the coil for single fire has 3 studs for ignition wires.Single fire will take some shake outta the shovel,only fires on cyl that is on compression stroke, duel fires both all the time. If you're running single fire I'll have to take a run up the garage and see if I can get the Res. specs for single fire:devil: Good luck
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  20. Lucifer

No, you don't need switch on. Disconnect the all the wires from the coil, you're testing Resistance.
    You should get a little more than 12 volts across the battery. Put it on the charger while you're checking the circuits.