1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shovelhead Just Will Not Crank

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by pappycool, Aug 22, 2008.

1. pappycool

pappycool New Member

HELP!!! This is for the record books. I have a newly rebuilt shovelhead, 93" S&S Stroker kit, Crane Hi 4 ignition. Ran great for about 3500 miles. Riding down the road about 60 mph and it just quit. Just like you turned the switch off. My mechanic has tried everything, replaced ignition, coil, wires, plugs. It has fire, compression, oil pressure, fuel, it has been timed, but will not crank. Mechanic is at a loss, but thinks something in the engine has spun causing it not to fire at the right time. Can anybody help? Is it something in the engine? Can't be electrical because everything has been replaced. Please help!!:witsend: :banghead:
  2. whacker

whacker Active Member

You should be able to check the timming,I would think if you have compression your valve timming is correct,You say it won't crank...might want to look at a wireing diaghram to make sure you are getting voltage where needed to roll the motor over.Bound to be some more people to help you out here...Good luck
  3. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Yea it is static timed and it does turn over. He had it on a dyno and is showing spark. Everything has power. reading all the right volts in the right places but it will not start. Mechanic says it must be something in the bottom end. Its just crazy and he said he has never had this happen before in his 30 plus years of wrenching. Go figure
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

do you have the adjustable pushrods? just might have came loose & throwing it out of wack even if it's just one , or your timeing plate came apart
  5. WildWindwalker

WildWindwalker New Member

Have yo tried changing your fuel,it could be that you have water in your gas. Usually they will spit and sputter first though.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

showin my age..........if a harley will turn over, it will run.:)
    this is how i would aproach your problem,
    i would get rid of the elec ign and go back to points...only take 10 min to change over.
    static time, making sure ya got good spark at the points.
    compression check......
    good gas
    intake clear of obstructions.
    it will fire........THEN i would start putting the hidollar ignition back on.....my bet is the ign is at fault, that is why i would go back to the points,,,,,i can tell if it is working correctly.........my 2 cents........have fun and let us know!!:)
  7. chucktx

one other thing....be sure he is pulling the timing hole plug to time it!:)
  8. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Thanks but my mechanic has tried all of that. Actually installed new electric ignition and even put points back in and tried that also.......still nothing. This has really stumped the band. Says he has tried everything, just don't know what else to do.:rant:

Gas is good, good compression, all electrics OK...................
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Could you be 180 deg. out?? If its single-fire,change plug wires around. If you have compression, spark and fuel it should fire up for you.
  10. pappycool

pappycool New Member

I dunno, I would think the mechanic would have it right. He did put points back in and it still did not start. I am done with him and going to get the bike back tomorrow and take it somewhere else.:mad:
  11. chucktx

that sounds like a good idea...........if what was posted here was done, and it still wont crank.............. shovels are not that complicated. a very simple and dependable engine.:)
  12. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Yea, thats what I thought. I am going to load up the trailer and go get it now. Guess the mechanic doesn't know all he thinks he does. Anyway, thanks everybody for all the suggestions. Ya'll ride safe! Later
  13. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

next sugestion, try new mechanic
  14. whacker

whacker Active Member

pappycool...Let us know what you find out....Just curious here...The motors are pretty simple...Good luck...
  15. Lucifer

The only thing I can think of that may have spun to put it too far out of time to run is if the cam gear wasn't pressed on the shaft right and it spun on the cam.
    :devil:
  16. whacker

whacker Active Member

could your exhaust be plugged up...or the exhaust valves not timmed right....Guess I'm kinda drawing at straws...but it is baffling......
  17. chucktx

i thought of that also...but he is saying the mech put in points,static timed the points to the mark on the flywheel.....i dont think the cam gear is off....i bet it is going to be a simple fix....if the mech actually did all the above..:)
  18. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Hey Guys! Well, I am only a shade tree mechanic when it comes to some of this stuff. I personally think it is something simple. Human error, anybody can make a mistake. But I had enough of that mechanic and took it to a HD Dealership. I can;t help but to think it is somehow in the timing. I just don't think he has it timed right for the electronic Ignition. I am like Lucifer, the only other thing would be the shaft spun and got the gears out of time. Maybe sheared the Key or something. That is what the mechanic is thinking. Everything everybody else has mentioned has been checked or done, so says the mechanic. I should know something this week from the HD shop. I will let you all know. All I know is.........I WANT TO RIDE! Thanks for all the help.
  19. Lucifer

Yeah, let us know what you find. I'm kinda surprised you have a HD dealer that will even look at a shovel. Most just give ya a dazed and confused look when you say Shovel:rolleyes:
  20. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have seen a few H D dealers keep or brought in a older Mech to work on the older HD's , A good move on there part :cool: