1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shriners Toy Run, Portland OR

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Dec 2, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

It rained hard the night before. So knew rain gear was in order but kept reminding myself that its for the kids. Well everyone's prayers were answered and the sun came out and blue sky prevailed. I still wore my rain pants.
    We meant up,with the other guys from Sunset HOG and rode to the meet up site. We had two chapters there so way to many people to be Parade Marshals. Cops said they only wanted 30 and said no doubling up. Again we all said its for the kids. So a group of us left early and decided we will park on the side of the road then follow the last bikes up to the Shriners Hospital. Yea the kids that could be out we're there and to see there faces made all the effort worth it.

Here is some picks and I have one video where the bikes were all coming out of the staged area. All my pictures are borrowed one but quality is OK.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. FLHTbiker

Here is some pics, yep one photo of myself, Maddog and Safeway Jim. Next will be a long video

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD,

Attached Files:

3. FLHTbiker

4. FLHTbiker

Here are a couple pics at the hospital

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD,

Attached Files:

5. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Good stuff Marc... I am not all that big on large rides, but these toy runs are always worth it. For us, the staging area is about 15 miles from downtown Asheville, not very far, not really an exciting ride, but real cool. People line the road the whole way, families lined up just like a Christmas parade. When you see the pile of toys and hear all the $ on top of the toys, makes you feel good. Local charity is who it goes through, arm of a fuel distributor. Guy at the end said never seen so many in black bring in so much bright... Awesome!!
  6. FLHTbiker

Well it is for all the kids. But it sure is fun blowing through all the red lights and stop signs without having to stop and all the cars have to wait until all the bikes have gone through. There were passengers throwing candy to kids on the sidewalks watching the parade of bikes.
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Fun times and a good cause - make for an awesome day!
  8. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Sunday,went on FLA.ABATE Toy run. Estimated 6,000 bikes. Great turn out for a good cause.
  9. FLHTbiker

Ours was by Abate also didn't get 6,000 but we usually get 2-4000 depending on the weather. With all the rain we had the night before and in the morning I thought we did pretty well. The out going *** mayor of Portland tried to stop us this year by not issuing a parade permit and then saying the city can't afford to pay the police to work with us. The guy at Abate in charge of the Toy
    Run went to the news media. Things changed very fast after that, our Abate Shriners Toy run is one of the oldest and larger ones in the nation. The news media even had us on the news and also talked about it days before inviting people to come down and watch the parade.
  10. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Fortunately we get help from police from all over Fl. Must have been 10 or more P.D,s helping out. Had no media coverage leading up to run but local TV and Florida Today after (typical).
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

some good pics , cool for the kids , our toy runs are on the Dec 12th , not sure when the shriners one is , but plan on checking into the date , thats the only two bug rides I do ,& I hang to the rear safer that way :rolleyes: