1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Silent Chain to Roller Chain conversion

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Nov 22, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

and takes about 4 to 5 hrs to complete...........no special tools required.:)
  3. duke76

duke76 New Member

I did it in my bike and it is awesome, need any help, let me know, no specialty tools required as Chuck said, Todd
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

is this the hydralic set up I've been trying to read up on ? , My son just brought me the Jan issue of Hot bike bagger , I have not had to even look at the cover good , & tomorrow is not going to any better , going over the my Daughters & son-in-laws house to help start the remodeling from IKE , they havent lived in the house sinse the storm :(
  5. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Would this be set up be preferred over gear driven cams?
    How does the cost compare to gear driven? Are there different lifts and durations of cams avaliable?
    I really like my gear driven cams, I have been running them for 20,000 miles without any trouble.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you have gear cams alread I wouldn't change,

One of the reasons you might go to this is if you have excessive runout on the pinion shaft, making gear drives impossible. FWIH most of the 07 and up bikes cannot take gear drive due to the increased runout on HD's mainshaft.

If you haven't changed cams and are thinking about it, then this would be a good alternative to going gear drive. Although if you are getting up over say 600 lift and you have a pretty agressive build then I'd opt for gears due to timing stability of the gears and the reverse rotation allowing more clearance.

If you're doing a street hop up, ie 510 or 550 lift area cams (under 600) then it's probably worth looking into. It's much easier than changing cams on the old system. ANd you would get an improved oil pump.
  7. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

If I have a older bike with the silent chain, I would consider going to the new roller chain unless yer going over 105 hp and building a bar hopin bike.
    Look at it like this. Say you ride out toward West texas near the pecos and have a problem with in yer cam chest. With the chain drive cams you could take it to the harley dealer and git it fixed pretty fast.
    If you had gear drive cams that got messed up and the gears needed to be replaced, you got to wait for new gears to be ordered and everything reset back up.
    The pressed together crankshafts on Hd's you never know when they might slip.
    Pinion shaft wobble can eat the gears up.
    Seems like its real important today to have the crankshafts tig welded if you build much Hp.
    you never know.