1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Single-Fire Ignition

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tiny86, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Any body got any Pros or Cons on this subject? I just got threw rebuilding my old 86 evo did a few modifications got a little $ left!!!!!!!
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Smoother idle, no "wasted" spark, I don't think you'll feel any power increase.
    Most if not all single fire ignitions have adjustable advance curves,(usually 4) so you can select one to work with your build.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hey tiny......nice to see ya posting again!!!! what all did ya do to the engine???maybe we can help ya spend the extra!!!!! lol
  4. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

As Lucifer said, smoother idle, but no real power increase. I've found a single-fire engine starts easier & runs smoother @ lower rpms, but by about 3000 rpm any noticeable difference is pretty much gone. There is one notable exception & that's if you run cams with a lot of "overlap" - in some cases, a dual-fire ignition's "wasted spark" on the exhaust stroke can ignite unburned fuel in the exhaust & cause a whopper-doozy of a backfire.

There are several fancy-schmantcy programmable ignitions on the market, but for your '86, an ignition I'd recommend is the trusty ol' Crane HI-4, which has 7 advance curves to choose from (depending on if you use the VOES or not) but is really pretty simple. It's also a "set it & forget it" deal - once you've got it dialed in for your application, you don't have to mess with it anymore. I use it on a Sportster engine based on the '86-'90 models & have never had any trouble with it.
  5. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Guys,

I am still in the process of collecting the parts I need for the EFI to Carb conversion on my 98. I was also wondering what kind of ignition to use. I hear the SE ignition and coil is a good combo and I can get them both for about $135. Is the Crane Hi4 with single fire coil worth the extra $300 or so? Money is tight these days so I am collecting parts slowly.

One of the reasons I am converting to carb is that the PC3 doesn't seem to pull out spark, I am getting too much knock. I am pretty sure I am rich enough that I don't need more fuel. The other reason is that the PC3 with the MM EFI can not change enrichment so I still get a lot of carb cough. I am also wondering if the carb will help the engine run smoother.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

If you can find an Ultima ignition, it's a Dyna 2000i without the higher Dyna price tag.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009