1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Single Fire vs. Dual Fire

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 27, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have been toying around with the idea of changing the ignition on my bike. I know that my bike stock has the dual fire ignition. Now, I have read on this site that the dual fire is considered to be a "wasted spark." It seems that most people are in favor of the single fire more.

Can someone please explain in plain english, but detailed difference between the 2 and why they favor either one or the other? Thank You!:D
  2. HD97FXDC

HD97FXDC New Member

From the Dyna Website "Dual fire ignition systems fire both spark plugs from a single coil at the same time. The majority of the spark energy goes to the cylinder under compression while a small portion goes to the cylinder on the exhaust stroke causing a small wasted spark. Single fire ignitions separate the firing pulses, only firing the cylinder under compression. The main advantage of dual fire systems is simplicity and low cost. The advantage of single fire systems are smoother engine operation and the elimination of the popping that sometimes occurs when long duration camshafts are used. There is no horsepower advantage with single fire ignition systems"
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, you have a four stroke engine, Intake, compression, power, exhaust

[​IMG]

Four Stroke

Dual fire - ignition fires the plug on every stroke, exhaust and it fires at the top of the compression stroke to start the power stroke. It also fires at the top of the exhaust stroke and it's nothing more than wasted energy and it can cause the bikes to have a little more vibration.

Single fire, - timed to fire on once at the appropriate point on the compression stroke to create the power stroke, It doesn't fire on the exhaust stroke.

Changing isn't going to make you any more power typically, and it might smooth the engine out a bit. If you NEED to change the ignition because the old one crapped out
    then changing over is fine. You need both the single fire coil and the control box. (ECU)
  4. HD97FXDC

HD97FXDC New Member

Great graphic of the engine
  5. JohnnyBiker

I'm not really looking to gain more power, I just want a more efficient running bike. I had heard from another person that this could change the sound of my bike. Now, it has a real deep mean growl to it and this person had said that it could and probably change this. It is no big deal, just double checking information.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

don't waste those hard earned college bucks on it... JMO
  7. JohnnyBiker

That is a great graphic! Most of this is coming straight from my own pocket.:cussing::eek:

Thank You All for the info. Appreciate it.
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Dual Fire - EPA mandated method to reduce unburnt gases....gases that would evaporate anyway (burning 'em reduces emissions at tailpipe, which is where they measure it)

Single-fire - slightly more efficient, as no secondary pressure (however slight) to oppose primary ignition.

I changed over to single fire when my OEM ignition started crapping out on me a couple years ago. I don't hear well enough (too much gunfire over the years) to hear a difference, but I do think I'm getting about 1 MPG better mileage...though I really ain't certain.

Bottom line: change when you have to, and not before. And if your bike is EFI (not carburated) then you may have tuning issues that I don't know jack about.
  9. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Anytime the goverment gets into it - I'm against it. Look what they did for Calif.:puke:
  10. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

You have to have a pretty good ear to hear the difference. Single fire can smooth out the idle on some bikes. As others have mentioned, replace if you need to replace the ignition system but probably not worth chasing for other reasons.
  11. Ramona

Ramona New Member

Have one of each........in the same basic motorcycle (FXR)
    Save your $$........no noticable difference....