1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Skid lids

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by viking, Mar 27, 2011.

1. viking

viking New Member

I live in Ontario canada and have been riding for many years.We have a helmet law here and although I hate being told what to do I have little choice but to wear a dot aproved helmet.I have a bit of a pumpkin head and have a hard time finding a lid that dosen't make me look like gazoo from the flintstones.I bought a helmet a few years back that doesn't look to bad.It has a date in it(nov.2005).Someone told me that a helmet can't be more than 5 yrs old or you can get a ticket.I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this stuipd law?
    Viking
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I have not heard of that.....I know that there is a recommendation similar to that on infant car seats.....not sure if it is LAW or RECOMMENDATION. Now, being in Canada.....rules may be different. I would see about loosing the date sticker!!!
  3. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

That sounds too stupid to be true. I've heard about a recommendation to buy a new helmet every 5 years because it becomes too loose from the lining and padding compressing with use. But that recommendation comes from the helmet manufacturers, so they may just want to sell more helmets (kinda like calling the IRS and asking if you owe them more taxes).

You may be thinking of the law (in U.S.) requiring you to use only D.O.T. approved helmets that have the D.O.T. label on back. That was passed maybe 5 years ago when the Chinese were making very cheap helmets that did not meet the D.O.T. standards for protection. Supposedly, you could get a ticket if you were wearing one that did not have that sticker, but it was one of those laws that never got enforced.

I have 2 helmets (both about 10 yrs old): a Nitro half helmet ($50 Chinese job) for hot weather, and a Zox 3/4 helmet with a retractable shield (another $50 Chinese brand). They both still fit well, so there is no reason to buy new. Also, they both have the required D.O.T. sticker on the back. Canada may have something similar.

Check out Competion Accessories---they have the biggest selection and best prices for helmets. No, I don't work for them.
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

The recommendation here in the USA by the helmet companies is that supposedly the fiberglass helmets get brittle with age as well as the lining compressing and other crap. Also, if the helmet was dropped they want you to replace it. Or, if you use it in a fall with yer beanie in it, again, replace it. Thus they do not offer the protection they did when new. Good for the manufacturers, bad for our wallets.
    Never heard of a LAW that requires replacement at a certain age.
  5. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

If you are not used to wearing a Helmet its gonna be hard to start.
    And if you don't keep it on, its even gonna be harder to git used to it.

I like a AVG Migula Modular Helmet. Ride with the clear face shield up . and have sunglass on with it. If it rains or gits cold I will pull down the clear face shield once started.
    It has a quick release chin strap. and is pretty light in weight.
    You really , really need to go and try helmets on. And its gonna be a heck of a hard time finding a helmet that you like. You need to look at the vents, and all. But be aware yer gonna have to break it in.
    I still do not understand why Helmet Mfg still puts D rings in the helmets.
    We used D rings over 40 years ago. Were in the 21st Century.
    And if D rings are so great why ain't they in yer car and truck instead of quick hookup and release seatbelts.

AVG Migula and Nolan is the only 2 people I'm aware that has quick release chin straps.
    However Nolan is a Hot helmet for the summer.

Good luck with yer Hunt.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would check with your local abate or a similar organization.....they should have the lowdown......the law north of the border are/will be different than down here in the lower 48
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Very much so.....
    As far as the 5 year rule goes..never heard of it. I have an 8 year old Arai that I have no problem wearing and feel protected wearing it. It's not the day to day hat. Padding packs down over time and the shell of the hat will age and start to break down with the exposure to the elements but a five year old helmet that's never been worn or dropped should be no problem. I know of no date law for motorcycle helmets..DOT and you're good to go..salad bowls stay in the kitchen
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I would just wear it, not worry about it and if anyone said anything I would put the burden back on them to prove to you it is not safe. I got several helmets and most are older and some older than that. Most helmet manuf. do recommend that if you drop your helmet you could damage the hard shell and you need to replace it. I got some with nicks in em from dropping them and look at it like battle scars.
  9. viking

viking New Member

I geuss the guy who tpld me this is getting confused between recomendation and the law.
  10. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Viking I live in Ontario also and have never heard of this law. Go here to shop their half helmets they have DOT and novelty! Helmets - Motorcycle Half Helmets - Crazy Al's Powersports Supply
    I have the Voss novelty helmet (not DOT) - it has all the requirements just no sticker! It is big enough not to draw attention from johnny law but light weight enough not to make your head feel like a bowling ball after 5 mins of riding!