1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

slide and bellows for cv carb

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by timsmcm, Apr 13, 2017.

1. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

I've done a complete rebuild with cv performance parts for my bike and am about to install. I had a bellows with a hole on that slide. My other slide had a good bellows but the slide had been drilled out way too much. I pulled the bellows of the one slide and put on the other slide. Can I get away with this or will I need a new slide- bellows piece? Some say you can and some say you can't and it will leak.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Tim, can you get away with it, sure. Will it be reliable and not eventually fail, that is questionable.

These slides were never designed to swap out the diaphragm but rather be a complete assembly. In fact new slides now come with glue in between the plastic which clamps around the diaphragm making removal nearly impossible. Replacing the diaphragm could potentially leave a vacuum leak between the plastic retainers that exceeds the leak you had with the pin hole.

I realize the replacement of the entire slide can be costly but if a recycled diaphragm fails while out on a long ride that cost savings will seem trivial. That's just my 2 cents, not because I sell these slides but because I've been that guy stranded when I tried to save money on something like this.