1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

slip-ons

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by fxdsuperglide, May 20, 2004.

1. fxdsuperglide

fxdsuperglide New Member

I have a 2000 FXD, recently installed a Mikuni HSR42,& a K&N filter,really like the throttle response, and the pull :D . I removed the baffles in the stock mufflers, (don't sound bad) I was wondering if there would be any gains in performance by going with Screaming Eagle 2's, S&S slip-ons or just leaving the stockers on. :confused:
    Last edited: May 20, 2004
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

It sounds as though you have done some good work on your bike. I believe that a good exhaust can make all the difference in the world. I would suggest going with an after market set of exhaust, I'm not a big fan of slip ons but everyone has there favorite. As everyone knows by now I have always leaned toward Vance & Hines. One thing to keep in mind no matter which exhaust you go with you may have to tweek the setting on your carb to get the full potential from the exhaust and to assure your not going to run to lean or to rich. Ride Safe David.
  3. fxdsuperglide

fxdsuperglide New Member

thanks for the input, i was told by the local H.D. tech that the stock head pipe would be sufficient for your everyday cruisin' and that drag pipes (unless runnin' hi revs)would post no real gains? I've been researchin pipes and have looked at both Vance & Hines, and Bubs Chambermaids.Slip-ons currently are in my budget(just had a kid) lookin for more bang for the $....
    FXD :cool:
  4. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

Bang for the Buck

Drag pipes generally increase the noise and decrease power until you are WFO. They do not work very good for a daily driver. If you are looking for bang for your buck, check out cycle shack. Every comparison that I have read where they were tested, they were in the top for building HP and torque acreoss the board and they don't charge extra for the name.
  5. fxdsuperglide

fxdsuperglide New Member

thanks again, went with a set of khrome werks turn out slip-ons. will see how they work and sound.
  6. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Repeat Info

This is a repeat post from earlier threads.... You can see a picture of these pipes on my bike, a 2001 FXD, in at http://biketalk.directparts.com/showthread.php?t=55. I'm running a HSR42 and a Ness Big Sucker Stage one intake. You can see more photos at http://www.inspirationalthoughts.org/Overseas/redone.htm

I like a nice low throaty growl from the pipes, but did not want to sacrifice low and mid range. I bought the V&H Big Shots before I asked any questions and knew anything about the differences in available exhaust. The Big Shots were on the bike for a total of three days before I pulled them. They looked great, as all V&H do, but with baffles they were louder than some pipes running without baffles. I wanted better sound and performance without being obnoxious. So I pulled them off the bike, sold them and did some research. I went with the Hooker step tuned race style staggered exhaust. I could tell a big performance difference right away and I like their sound a lot better, unlike the higher frequency sound I got with the Big Shots. Just do some research along with the great advice given in Bike Talk.

Additionally, these pipes performed a lot better than the V&H and I could feel the increase in low and mid power range.
    Last edited: May 31, 2004