1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Small Hands and Clutch question?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by chilli42, Sep 24, 2016.

1. chilli42

chilli42 Member

Don't laugh but I don't have the biggest of hands.

Went riding today and for some reason when shifting into 2nd gear (only 2nd)I must have partially lost grip on the the clutch lever and it released way too quickly after I selected 2nd and then obviously the bike really jerked forward (when it feels like your hands are ripped of the grips). No grinding or bad noises, it was in gear.

Anyway, not really an issue but I'm wondering if this causes wear or damage to the transmission, cogs, clutch etc?

And also what is actually happening when that happens? Is it the clutch grabbing or the cogs (not very mechanically minded)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I'm familiar with Japanese trannys (although only into the 1980's) you don't say what bike your riding. If from the land of the rising sun, you do have cogs. Possibly but highly unlikely you may have slighly added wear to the cogs. I truely doubt it since you had no noise. I spent many many miles speed shifting my old Japanese preformance bikes (no clutch used) and when breaking down the engine/tranny cases I saw little wear and only one little chip in cogs. Of course my last Japanese machine was a modified '81 1100 suzzuki. Other than that,I still doubt any damage done no matter the machine brand. JMO
  3. chilli42

chilli42 Member

Thank you. I have a Ducati Scrambler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk