1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Smelling Gas

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by IronheadAJ, Mar 12, 2009.

1. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

Hey gang,
    Got a quick question. I'm having a problem with the smell of gasoline around my 89' FLHTC and I don't know where it's coming from. Even when the bike is outside, when you walk up to it you can smell the gas but I can't find any leaks or drips and I don't see anything coming out of the bowl overflow. If I bring it into the basement and don't run the carb out of gas and turn the petcock off its really bad. Not explosive bad, but you know how bad just a little gas fume will stink up a place.
    Could it just be my gas cap not sealing? If I shut the petcock off the smell isnt' so bad.

Could it be something the the VOES underneath the tank?

Any idea's to point in the right direction would be helpful.

Thanks.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Dripping past the seat on the needle valve and maybe into the intake?
  3. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

I was kind of thinking that too. It has the old pre-CV Kehnin carb on it. Would it make that much of a smell? I was afraid it was loading up in the heads. I just had the compression fittings on the heads changed last year cause they were dry rotted and cracked.

Thanks for the input.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

check the overflow line that is under the center panel on the gas tank...i think you have one. it is a vent for spilage on the tank......
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

1) don't smoke around the bike
    2) don'ta lighta de fire match either to check for da leak.

You have several items that could be the source

1) Petcock
    2) Fuel Line if older it could have cracks replace with new line
    3) Carb, stuck float etc.

I would turn off the fuel and get the bike out of the basement, no need to burn down the house

Pull off the carb, clean it out good, make sure the float in the bowl works and clean it good.

Replace the fuel line, also check for the overflow hose from the tank, if you overfill it can cause gas to seep out from expansion. Even the manual says don't overfill.

Make sure the hoses are new.

Check the petcock to be sure it's not leaking.
  6. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

Thx RHK, I'll check those things this weekend. As long as the gas is off there is no smell. I don't turn it on until I'm outside and ready to start.
  7. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Same happened to my cuzes bike....Float sticking......cleaned carb and adjusted....good as new, no problems
  8. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

Thanks Mayor. I'll have to pull the bowl down and check the float. I had it openned up last year doing some jet upgrades and the float looked ok, but that don't mean it ain't hangin now.
  9. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Didn`t mention in the post before that Cuz bought that bike after sitting up a while and you know what that did to the gas and gummed up the carb......Just seem you also have some over flow from somewhere......Stopping the smell when you cut the gas off means something is running through...Good luck...
  10. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Also check out the elbow to the carb - the plastic fitting likes to crack - if you can replace it with a solid brass hi-flow elbow- yer bike will thank you for it.
  11. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

Thx Sarge. I have replaced that piece. What a dumb idea that was to have a piece of plastic molded to a metal insert. Duh!!!

Anyhow, yeah, I replaced that last year when I was having air leak problems. Ended up being the Compliance fittings that were dry rotted.
  12. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned A-Hole

Content removed
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  13. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

So what was the gas smell from. ever break down and look ?:gah:
  14. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

Found it

The smelling gas problem when the bike was parked but gas not shut off was from the carberator bowl gasket not being in it's little track and fumes were leaking by when it was just sitting there. Fixed that gasket and wa-la!!! No more gas smell.

thanks so much everyone for your inputs!!
  15. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I had the chance to work in an apartment that got burned up because some guy was working on a bike in the basement and had fuel spill and got ignited by the water heater. I believer the bike was a dyna or a softtail. All that was left was front tire and fork. Everything else was ruined. Working inside a house is not a good idea.
  16. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

Thanks a ton for the advice and concern. I'll take that into consideration the next time I have to do carb work on the bike or anything else in dealing with gas. Of course I don't smoke around the bike when I do this and I keep the double doors wide open with a fan blowing the fumes out for the most part, but burning the house down would be the last thing I'd ever want to do.
  17. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

IronheadAJ...next time the compliance fittings dry out and crack...replace the carb and manifold to Keihin CV carb and the 90-up 3 piece manifold, the manifold is a definite upgrade and when the butterfly carbs start to act up it's way easier to upgrade to the CV type than getting them to run right again. JMHO.
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hard to beat a cv carb that is set up correctly. set it once and forget it!!! high or low altitudes......
  19. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

Thanks man. I went through this conversation last year when I was having this problem and I think that's the path I'm going to go with. There's a ton of them on ebay for pretty good prices too. My next question is, are they all the same or do I need a specific year? Oh yeah, and do you have a part number for the 3 piece carb?

Ride on.

20. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

manifold-27019-89 front flange-27009-86A,rear flange-27010-86A, you'll need a seal ring for each flange-27002-89 and an intake manifold seal for carb to manifold mount-26995-86A and 4 screws to bolt manifold to the head # 3201W. These are taken out of my 87-90 parts book so some of the numbers may be upgraded, you may be able to get one from Ebay too. Any 40mm CV carb will work,TC or Evo,but there have been a few changes in them over the years, I'd look for a later year one with a brass fuel inlet. You'll need a CV type breather kit too.You may also need new throttle cables ,but I'm not sure about that.
    Hope this helps ya:devil:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009