1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Smoke turn signal lenses

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by nightster09, Feb 26, 2009.

1. nightster09

nightster09 New Member

I have been throwing around the idea of changing out the amber turn signal lenses with the smoke ones. Wondering if anyone has them on their bike now, and if they are still noticeable to drivers. Looks like they would be a good addition to my street bob, but not sure.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the ones i have seen look cool sitting still, but when they function, they seem to be dimmed......for safety, amber, for cool darkened............m/o..
  3. billym64

billym64 New Member

i have them on my 06 dyna lowrider. definatley look better than stock. not really sure on the brightness differance though! still gonna change the tail light to smoke--soon!
  4. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I've been tossing the same idea around for my 07 Street Bob and have been concerned about the same thing, being seen and safety. I will most likely get the Kuryakin smoked laydown taillight, which is LED and will be brighter than the stock taillight. The turn signals are a trickier decision. I'll most likely go with HD's smoked lights with the little chrome trim at the edge of the lens. I could get Kuryakin's LED turn signals also, but I don't happen to like the way those little bulbs look, so I'll probably stick to HD's set. Still, the LED's would solve your problem, brighter light AND better looking smoked lenses, so you might want to take a look at them before ordering the HD lens kit.
  5. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

I got them

02 wide glide. When ya ride in a group sometimes ya can't always tell it the brakes or on or the sun is hitting the regular ones.IMHO When they are smoked Ya can see better contrast. Natures brightest contrast black and yellow. ya figured balck and white but not from the bumble documentary I seen along time ago.:D
    They do look cool too. Kuryakn makes a bright red bulb for the brake light ( got it smoked too.
    The fellas say they it is fine and a few have changed over the years. I do not have have my brake light/turn system signal installed. The bulbs used to light up pink looking almost before with smoked turn/brake light. but they got some bulbs out there now that will put the old red ones to shame.
    Later
    Voo1
  6. jp13

jp13 New Member

I have them on my 07 lowrider and like the looks. I just changed the tail lite to smoke. They look good.
  7. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I changed my mind tonight. I've ordered the low profile Kuryakin smoked LED tail light. I was going to get the HD turn signal kits. I had a problem today and asked a friend to ride my bike for a few minutes for a second opinion. When my friend was riding toward me I was able to see my own bike coming at me for the first time at night. The amber turn signal bulbs weren't bright enough in contrast to my upgraded after market headlight. I think I'll go LED all the way around.
  8. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

what I got

I like it alot. Looks good. The fellas say they can my (Kuryakn smoked brakelight)see it come on and there is no doubt that it is on. Check out a bulb they make too. it is silver in looks and works good. I cannot remember the kind but Kuryakn has it. (for the brakelight) ya might be able to tell in one of the pics I got on here.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  9. jp13

jp13 New Member

I put a led tail light on last week. Looks good but can't get her out ,we are having a n'easter today. OH JOY.
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I saw a clear turn lens on a bike last weekend that had a yellow bulb in it, didn't look to bad.
  11. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I think NY State law requires a red bulb in the rear, so I'll have to get the smoked lens with red bulb.
  12. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

it lights red

this bulb is red but looks like aluminum not clear at all. The Kuryakn smoked is almost shiny grey/relflective than it is plain ol' black. The bulb gets thru good beccause the actual lens is almost clear. Hope that helps make sense. But look for that bulb. It is not LED. looks like a regular ol' bulb only shiny aluminum.
  13. nightster09

nightster09 New Member

my issue is the 09 street bob rear light set-up, I like the retro look, but don't know about 2 smoke lenses and then the LED brake light. I'm sure there is a company out there that is working on a brake light kit for the 09, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm still thinking of changing out the front lenses and going from there. The red LED's from Kuraykin look pretty cool though!
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I have the Kuryakyn Panacea, it works well, bright and flashes on stop.

the 09 security system can play havoc with the LEDs installed. Nothing
    big, security light will stay on when riding.

Kuryakyn has the module and plug ins to fix that with the parts.

Service is good at Kuryakyn too.
  15. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I think it's the Panacea that I ordered. I'm getting the regular one, not the one that has the turn signals inside.
  16. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

And I'm having a heck of a time finding the flat yellow turn signal lens's for the front on my stock 01 Springer, the rear had already been changed out with the red ones.. Went to the HD shop and even the parts guys had to go out and look at the bike to see the size. The bike comes stock with the fat ugly lens covers. Will have to put a shorter smaller bulb in when I ever find some.
  17. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

ugghh, good luck with that. I'm still on the fence about which turn signal to get. I took a second look at the Kuryakin LED turn signals and I just don't like the look of those little beady circles. I'll take another look at HD's lights again this Saturday.
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Signal Dynamics makes great LED products

The Kuryakyn LED's work well I have the panecea setup

I only use Smoked products endorsed by Michael Phelps.....
  19. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

..........or cheech and chong.................:roflmao:
  20. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

I have them on my 89' FLHTC and they do look great. To tell you the truth, if the cagers can't see a 285lb guy on a big friggin motorcycle the we have more problems than how bright my turn signals are. LOL

I'm fixin to change my fender tip lenses to smoke too. They come with bright LED lights to really light up my that smoked lense.