1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Smoken

Discussion in 'Roadkill Cafe - From Kill to Grill' started by JohnnyBiker, Jan 31, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey does anyone have a good recipe for a precooked ham to do on the smoker??? My dad has tried one but he didn't like it all that much, looking for a different one.????
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

never tried a precooked ham , you can try the jack danials wood chips for smoke flaver just poke small holes all over the meat , I have smoked turkeys & chickens & all kinds of beef with different kinds on wood chips , But never any precooked meat
  3. JohnnyBiker

I think that it is more in the particular glaze that he used or that the recipe that he made from the recipe is what he didn't care for. have you ever used Ginger jelly?
  4. cowboy

No have'nt heard of it yet ginger I use in some cooking
  5. JohnnyBiker

Hmmmm. Have you heard of David Klose?? I emailed him to see if he would have a recipe that he would be willing to share.
  6. cowboy

name sounds familier but not sure
  7. JohnnyBiker

He was premiered on Food Network and he builds like really nice BBQ pits. He is from Houston.
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

We put a ham on the BBQ and the wife has her own BBQ sauce she put on it as its cooking, come out pretty goof.

What is Ginger jelly?
  9. cowboy

That's where I heard the name , he's been on the news here a few time 's
  10. FLHTbiker

Just added some Old Granddad to a diet ice tea to help spice it up, its better now.
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

there is an inherent problem with folks that smoke their meat. the wood needs to be aged....as in all the sap is gone. when ya use green wood the sap will overpower the meat. mesquite is like this. too much an it tastes really bad. mesquite needs to be charcoal before cooking over it. a really good wood for pork is pecan.....it will add a bit of sweetness to the meat. hickory would be a good choice also. key is seasoned wood, not green. wet or dry makes no difference.
  12. JohnnyBiker

I am a big fan of Oak and Apple. I usually let the wood sit for about 2 years then I use it. The trouble with oak is that it so dense that it takes forever for it to be a that sweet spot, but I really like it on my spares and brisket.
  13. FLHTbiker

I tried some meat once that had been smoke with Juniper, that was horrible. Don't ever use Juniper wood.
  14. chucktx

i use a LOT of oak....plenty of trees on my spread. no apple tho.......would like to have some....and cherry also......
  15. JohnnyBiker

I would use maple before cherry. I think that cherry is a tad bit over powering for me. I do like it, but it just is not my favorite.
  16. chucktx

i use cherry.............when i can get it..........to smoke salmon. normally i use oak. cherry is like mesquite,,,,it can be very overpowering...
  17. JohnnyBiker

I have only used mesquite once and hated it. I have never used hickory either.
  18. cowboy

Johnny both are good to BBQ with you just don't use a lot & make sure it's aged good , I use a lot of pecan cause we have a bunch of trees here on the place , so I pick up all the brokeb branches & let them set for about a year before useing
  19. chucktx

to use mesquite.....get a good oak or pecan fire going.....and one piece of mesquite, dont do the whole cooking process on mesquite......just add a piece for flavor.......
  20. chucktx

i buy 100lb bags of mesquite charcoal from the blacksmith shop and use it for the seasoning. mesquite is a very hot burning wood.....that is why blacksmiths use it.....it gets the coke really hot.