1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Smokers

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Fatboy128, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Well I joined the Smoked Meats Club! Kids chipped in and got me a smoker. Today is the first attempt with a small pork loin. I'll post photos in the near future (if I do it right! Ha!!).
    Ps:
    [​IMG]
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the club, been smokin' meats n stuff for quite a few years

One tip for ya that stands beyond all the rest, cook to temp, DO NOT
    cook to time, get a meat thermometer preferably one that sits outside
    the smoker so you don't have to open the lid/door to check and know your
    temps.

I run the Igrill works on BT, however I"m going to upgrade to a wifi model
    for more range soon, but this will get you through

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7203-i...nt=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-304998774470&psc=1
  3. Fatboy128

Yep, my eldest son has been smoking for a few years now. He too said "...to temp..." that's how I did it but opening the door. Thanks for the Link. Just ordered it. I cooked a Pork Tenderloin (small, enough for 3-4 people) with 3/4 Apple and 1/4 Hickory. Made a brine with brown sugar and kosher salt. Marinated for 4 hours then rubbed brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder into meat and cooked at 240 for 4.5 hours . Had a very good flavor but a bit dry since there wasn't much fat in it.
    Going to try a chicken this week. Tips?
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Chicken is easy, I do wings all the time, season, let sit overnight in a gallon storage bag then smoke low to temp then crank up to get skin crispyerierer

Whole fryers are piece of cake, again I don't time them but cook at 275 for
    about an hour, checking temp, leave the skin on or it gets dry, skinless breasts
    will dry out as well, you can coat them with bbq, or oil or butter.

Inject them or brine them if you want it a bit more moist, I brine mine especially turkey, cook low n slow and to temp and it's juicy.

mix up your seasoning and some soft butter, don't melt it, then spread it on the meat under the skin for the breasts, and then on the skin, it'l make ya jump up and slap yo pappy.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  5. Fatboy128

Thanks!