1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

So so stupid

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Ashley, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

First time I have done this one.

Stopped the bike to park. Got distracted. Leant the bike towards the side stand and it just kept on moving. By the time I realised the side stand was not lowered gravity had taken control of events. Although I could not at this point stop the inevitable I did at least manage to slow the fall.

I came out of this with no bruising, no damage to me, and the only damage to the bike was a slight bend on the gear lever which was straightened with ease.

Fortunately this was on the XVS650 not the Harley.

I felt so bloody stupid.
  2. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

What distracted ya? Last one in buys?:roflmao:

good to hear ya were not burnt. Those hurt alot!!!

Later:cool:
    Voo1
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad your ok, just remember this.....there are those that have, and those that are gonna!!!!!!!!!
  4. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

The distraction was..... Near a place I regularly park, usual parking place was used. Pulled in nearby, saw the pot hole where the side stand would have gone, so pulled forward a yard or so away from it. At the same time on the far side of the road "flashing blue" arrived (nothing to do with me).

Over 30 years of riding. First time I have pulled this particular way of dropping a bike. Hopefully the last.
  5. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

can't be any worse than me falling over at a stop sign.........foot slipped on loose gravel, leg slid out, and the bike followed. At least nobody was around to see me. :banghead:
  6. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I remember riding my FXR thru 20 days of rain mud road construction ,you name it we did it and I "threw the bike on the primary cover" at the car wash after as I didn't put the jiffy stand down properly..I hear ya.
  7. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Everybody??? drops one sometimes
  8. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

like chuck said "those that have and those that gonna" ! :roflmao:
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

well at least ya was able to get the underside pretty easy!!!!!!!!:roflmao:
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

you're right there..I wanted a chrome primary anyway.
  11. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

been there, done that......
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep hope i never do it again :banghead:
  13. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

I am glad Sportsters are light or I would have had to have help lifting mine a time or two LOL. Don't talk on the cell and try to move your bike without being on it. It gets started over away from ya and that is it. Melinda still says she can't hear as well out of that ear. Guess I got a bit loud :roflmao:
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Gravity It's the Law!
  15. Quiet Storm

Quiet Storm New Member

I let a non-biker friend sit on my bike once. My wife jumped on the back and said lets go for a ride. Well, he pushed the bike forward a few feet acting like he was actually driving and stopped. You know the kick stand had come up but he didn't know it so he just layed it over. My wife just stepped off but he got his leg caught under the bike. He was screaming like a little girl untill we got it off him. No damage to the bike but his leg and ego suffered a little.

I was laughing so hard I couldn't get mad but we agreed that was his last ride on my bike.
  16. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Don't feel to bad gal - I laid mine down 6 times last year. Pothole twice - Loose gravel once - passenger gettin stupid three times. No damage to the bike or the rider and passengers. Thank god for engine guards.:gah:
  17. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I don't feel too bad about it. It happened. I am not the first, I will not be the last. I'd have been a lot more pissed if I'd done that to the Harley. Still pretty dumb though.

Still no harm done. If it reminds one other rider to check and not drop a bike, then good.

Oh, and over here in the UK Ashley is a more commonly a male name. :) ;) :)
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

uh sarge, ya might wanna keep that passenger off the bike,
    when they are in the "stupid" mode...
  19. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

On dropping a bike and d(st)ealerships

They should agree to this. You should be able to get them to lower a bike to the ground, show you how to get it back up, and then let you lift it. With the right technique it is not hard.

No dealer should sell a bike without showing how to safely lift a dropped bike.
  20. Mayor

Mayor New Member

I agree, but, knowing the technique did not help me on the Blue Ridge when I droped mine in the middle or the road, turning around, loaded, and my wife`s leg pinned under it with cars comming both ways......Got it up enough to free her leg and both yanking it up and letting it roll back out of the road.....I knew how to lift the bike with the right technique.....but, it never crossed my mind......Little funny now.....Sure wasn`t when it happened....Did not hurt the bike.....